Meet Macaylie Gizinski, ’14!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Macaylie Gizinski

Year: Senior

Hometown: Seattle, WA

1.     Why did you choose UP?

I went to a private Catholic school in Washington and I always heard how great the university was from academic counselors and peers. Once I visited, I just knew that it was the perfect fit for me. It just felt right.

2.     What is the biggest difference between Seattle and Portland?

I think the biggest difference between Seattle and Portland is their opinions on each other. Which is ironic, because they’re both pretty much just hipster paradises… in all seriousness though, I’m a Washingtonian born and raised so Seattle will always be closest to my heart. But I will definitely miss all the wonderful food that Portland has to offer.

3.     What has been your favorite experience of living in Portland?

As I said before, one of my favorite things about Portland is the food so, I was beyond thrilled when I got offered an internship at Feast Portland this semester. I get to talk about food all day! It’s absolutely wonderful. This coming weekend, the Feast team is helping organized the food for TedX Portland. I know that when I look back on my college experience that will be one of the highlights.

4.     If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

If I could go anywhere in the world, I would go to Ireland. My grandma is 100% Irish so I’ve always dreamed of taking her. 

I am studying Organizational Communication with a emphasis in Public Relations at the lovely University of Portland. I grew up in Salem, Oregon, but I absolutely love living in the city. My hobbies are reading, writing (obviously), running, and watching cat videos. And eating. I also love window shopping in the Pearl District, going to the Saturday market, and trying out new restaurants.
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.