Meet Macaylie Gizinski, ’14!

Name: Macaylie Gizinski

Year: Senior

Hometown: Seattle, WA

1.     Why did you choose UP?

I went to a private Catholic school in Washington and I always heard how great the university was from academic counselors and peers. Once I visited, I just knew that it was the perfect fit for me. It just felt right.

2.     What is the biggest difference between Seattle and Portland?

I think the biggest difference between Seattle and Portland is their opinions on each other. Which is ironic, because they’re both pretty much just hipster paradises… in all seriousness though, I’m a Washingtonian born and raised so Seattle will always be closest to my heart. But I will definitely miss all the wonderful food that Portland has to offer.

3.     What has been your favorite experience of living in Portland?

As I said before, one of my favorite things about Portland is the food so, I was beyond thrilled when I got offered an internship at Feast Portland this semester. I get to talk about food all day! It’s absolutely wonderful. This coming weekend, the Feast team is helping organized the food for TedX Portland. I know that when I look back on my college experience that will be one of the highlights.

4.     If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

If I could go anywhere in the world, I would go to Ireland. My grandma is 100% Irish so I’ve always dreamed of taking her. 

I am studying Organizational Communication with a emphasis in Public Relations at the lovely University of Portland. I grew up in Salem, Oregon, but I absolutely love living in the city. My hobbies are reading, writing (obviously), running, and watching cat videos. And eating. I also love window shopping in the Pearl District, going to the Saturday market, and trying out new restaurants.