Meet Campus Celebrity Sara Tellez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

1. How did you decide to go to Ghana/how did you get in?

When I heard about the social work department considering sending students to Ghana for their practicum placements, I was sure the chance would come after I already graduated, and it would be something I heard other students experience. I have always enjoyed traveling and volunteering abroad. I was thrilled to find out the opportunity was going to happen in time for my senior year at UP. I learned more information from the Social Work practicum advisor who sent me all the information to apply. I wanted to experience my practicum abroad because I have been contemplating working as a social worker abroad for awhile. First of all, I love the feeling of traveling to new places and experiencing living in other cultures. I recently studied abroad in London in the Spring of 2013 and my host family was a family of social workers. I was so intrigued by the similarities and differences in social work practice in the UK and the US. Knowing this would be the perfect opportunity to witness social work in a different culture, I sent in my application. I was studying in London when I found out I was accepted for the Fall 2013 semester in Ghana.

2. What is a typical day in Ghana and what are your duties while there?

In all honesty, no day in Ghana is like the one before. As students here, we are required to fulfill 18 hours a week at our placements. I am also enrolled in an internship here as well. A typical day is being ready to walk in the hot and humid Ghanaian weather to the main road to catch a trotro (our main transportation, which is essentially a van turned into a bus) to be at work at 9:00 am. I can wait for a trotro anywhere from five minutes to an hour. When I am finally on my way to work, I meet new people on the trotro, on my walk to work, and back. I am at my placement for the majority of my day. I work at an orphanage which houses abandoned, runaway, missing and orphaned children. My role at the home is to teach the younger children basic education because they cannot receive their education at an outside school for varying reasons. I also have individual counseling time with some of the children as well. After work, I catch a trotro home and smile and greet all of my welcoming neighbors. Each day can be so different in Ghana.

3. What has been the most valuable lesson that you have learned abroad?

There are an infinite number of lessons I have learned while I have been in Ghana. One lesson that sticks out the most can be said in one phrase in one of the local languages, Twi. “Wayason Gobe” which means “Who knows tomorrow?” So many people in Ghana are living in the moment. In the United States, most live to work, but here, most are working to live. They do not know what sort of income or resources will come in each day. We are never sure what tomorrow will bring either, so live it as if it were your last. Be kind to your neighbor because you never know when your neighbor may return the favor some day. This phrase has become a mantra in my life now. Also, if you do not take the opportunity when it arrives at your door step, it may not be there tomorrow. This is one lesson which I have been able to apply to so many aspects of my life.

4. What has been the weirdest or most difficult aspect to adapt to in Ghana?

One of the most difficult aspects to adapt to in Ghana is knowing change can not be seen overnight. Life is always on Ghanaian time here. If you expect something to be done at a certain time, there is no guarantee it will happen. It has taken more than a month to feel as if I was doing something worth while at my practicum placement. I will not pretend every day is rainbows and sunshine here because it is not. Change is a slow process, and it can feel frustrating. However, I try to find the positivity in the situation and know I am providing care to children who did not have their needs met in their original homes for whatever reason.

5. Future plans in life?

I hope to be able to travel back to Ghana some time in the future. I have developed beautiful relationships with people out here, and I hope to continue them. I want to follow-up on the children I am working with and know how they have progressed. I love to hear other people’s stories, and I think it is important to stop and listen. You have a story and so does your neighbor, what is stopping you from going next door to actually talk to them? In Ghana, community and family is everything. At the end of the day, that is who will be there for you. I am excited to continue traveling after graduation and pursue my love for international social work. As always, Wayason Gobe??

I like places. I like people. I like stories; every place, and every person has a story. I want to write as many stories about that place and those people until the stories run dry. Which is...never. So I will continue to write. Please, tell me a story.