Meet Campus Celebrity Alana Inlow!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Hometown: San Juan Capistrano, California

Major/Minor: Sociology (Criminology Track)/Psychology

Year: Senior ‘14

What made you want to come to UP?

The rain, the trees, and because they gave me the most scholarship money. I decided I was coming here before visiting. But mostly for the rain and the trees.

If you could have one superpower, what would you choose?

I want…(stares at candle) the ability to transcend place and time. If I could not necessarily stop time, but live beyond it’s measures any place I wanted that would be good. For example, I want to be able to be without having to BE. Does that make sense? (Interviewer’s note: She’s very philosophical)

What clubs/activities are you involved in on campus?

I work in the College of Arts and Sciences as a “floater,” I’m a teaching and research assistant for Dr. Rookey in the Sociology and Social Work department, and I’m a Writing Assistant in the Writing Center. I’m also in the Sociology and Social Work Rep. for the Student Leadership Advisory Committee to the dean. Also, I’m in Alpha Kappa Delta, which is the International Sociology Honor Society.

What’s one of your favorite places in Portland?

Forest Park is my favorite place, because I like hiking, trees and nature and it’s beautiful, mystical and magical.

If you were stuck on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

I would bring a solar powered thing that could play music cause I couldn’t live without music. I would bring my collection of Romantic Nature authors, i.e. Whitman and Thoreau. The last thing I would bring would be an endless supply of dark chocolate.

What advice do you have for incoming freshman?

Be open-minded. Don’t focus on school as much as you focus on life. Read as much as you can in as many fields as you can. Establish good relationships with your professors; don’t be afraid to talk to them. It’s easier to be inclusive than it is to be included, so always try to seek out those who need seeking.

Hi! I'm Avery Aresu, a Junior English Major with a Fine Arts minor at the University of Portland. I'm a writer for the Portland chapter of HerCampus and I'm really excited to be part of the team this year. I'm originally from Auburn, WA, but being here in Portland for these past three years has made me fall in love with Oregon. I love nothing more than drawing and painting, and I spend my free time hanging out with friends and my boyfriend, learning new gluten-free recipes, reading classic literature, going on adventures, bouldering, archery, and going to concerts. Portland is the most wonderful place to be, and I'm excited to share more about it! :)