Mardi Gras: More than Just Beads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Mardi Gras is easily recognized by the vibrant purple, green and gold. Most often, the holiday is associated with beads, questionable behavior, and a gluttonous amount of drinking. However, the history of Mardi Gras is much more fascinating that delicious food and preparing for the limitations of Lent.

Mardi Gras can be traced back to medieval Europe from Rome to France. French-Canadian adventurer Jean Baptiste Le Moyne Sieur de Bienville, who established parts of Louisiana, brought it to America. The first American Mardi Gras was celebrated in the small settlement of Fort Louis de la Mobile in 1703.

A year later in 1704, the small settlement created a secret society called Masque de la Mobile, which inspires present day Mardi Gras krewes. This secret society lasted five more years and was replaced by the “Boeuf Gras Society” in 1710. The “Boeup Gras Society” stuck around from 1711 to 1861 and they paraded the streets every Fat Tuesday. Their procession included a huge bull’s head that was mounted on wheels and pushed by 16 men! Later the parade included an actual bull, which symbolized the coming Lenten meat fast.

As history progressed, so did Mardi Gras. When it was celebrated in New Orleans, huge society balls were held that eventually turned into carnivals. These carnivals were a symbol of romance and festivity. Eventually, more parades were included and animal costumes and masks became a normal part of the celebration.

Today, Mardi Gras is a night of celebration and debauchery. But on Tuesday night, wherever you find yourself, be safe and ring in the Lenten season with a little fun. 

I am studying Organizational Communication with a emphasis in Public Relations at the lovely University of Portland. I grew up in Salem, Oregon, but I absolutely love living in the city. My hobbies are reading, writing (obviously), running, and watching cat videos. And eating. I also love window shopping in the Pearl District, going to the Saturday market, and trying out new restaurants.
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.