Healthy Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

With finals coming up, it’s easy to reach for junk food instead of healthier options. Junk food often seems like the quick and easy choice, but if you are like me, I always regret the junk food later. Here are a few options to choose that will make you feel good while helping decrease all the stress that finals week brings!

Candy vs. Apples and Peanut Butter

It’s safe to say that we will get our fair share of holiday sweets in the next upcoming weeks, so instead of eating some of that left over Halloween candy or old pumpkin pie, slice up an apple and throw some peanut butter on it. The peanut butter is a great source of protein and will help you focus better while you are studying. If that doesn’t really satisfy your sweet tooth, add a few chocolate chips!

Chips vs. Veggies and Hummus 

Chips are great and all, but if you eat too many, they feel heavy in your stomach and are just overall not healthy for you, especially the greasy kind. Instead of reaching for a bag of chips, grab a handful of veggies and some hummus! They will fill you up just like chips, but they will be easier for you to digest and you are sure to feel better afterwards.

Buttered Popcorn vs. Pirate’s Booty

A quick snack for me has always been just throwing a bag of popcorn into the microwave and calling it good. My new choice is Pirate’s Booty (any kind) because it has not trans fat, is gluten free and vegan friendly! How can you go wrong with that? It’s also a lot tastier than a bag of greasy microwave popcorn with the weird “real butter” that probably isn’t even real. It’s even sold in Mac’s Market, so you don’t have to go far to get some!

These are just a few healthier choices for you too choose during the last two weeks of school. I know it’s a stressful time, so make it easier on your body by picking the healthier choices. You won’t regret it! Good luck on finals and happy, healthy eating! 

Hi Friends! My name is Sam and I'm a senior Biology major at UP. I'm also the 4th floor RA in Mehling (the best dorm ever)! Here are a few things that I love right now: tea, friends, sunshine, bows, scarves, salted caramel anything, and hand-written letters. I'm so excited to be a member of Her Campus here at UP and can't wait to share new and fun things with everyone!
I like places. I like people. I like stories; every place, and every person has a story. I want to write as many stories about that place and those people until the stories run dry. Which is...never. So I will continue to write. Please, tell me a story.