This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

It’s time to face the facts: I’ve been bitten by the travel bug. And I wouldn’t have it any other way! Between my adventures in England, France, and Italy (and soon, Amsterdam) over these past few months, I’ve had the opportunity to experience different cultures, modes of thought, and traditions that I could only dream of until recently. As a young lady, my word of advice to all you young ladies and gentlemen out there is: TRAVEL NOW. Don’t wait until you’re 50 and your kids are grown up and you can better afford to travel. Do it now! I’m not trying to rag on older people at all, but I think we can all agree they tend to get tired easily and are more set in their ways than younger generations. Take advantage of your youthful energy and comparative openness to other perspectives. Whether you decide to study abroad, take an extended trip after graduation, work or volunteer in another country, or just go on a family vacation, travel is one of the most enriching experiences.

In my adventures, I’ve learned some important lessons about travel and bridging cultural gaps. Some are obvious, some are not so obvious. Allow me to enlighten you prospective travelers on the do’s and don’ts of globe-trotting from the perspective of a college student. Hopefully through my experiences, I can make your future travel plans a bit easier and more enjoyable!

1. Make sure to plan as much as you can ahead of time. I’ll admit, I’m not one of those free spirits, any way the wind blows, kind of gal. Proactivity is my middle name. Be sure to research transportation to and from hostels, airports, train stations, what have you. Look up prices of things you want to do and see while there, so you know how much money to bring with you. Don’t be that person wandering the streets of Paris with a suitcase and a confused look on your face. I saw plenty of those poor souls everywhere I went, and it’s not a pretty sight.
  2. I cannot emphasize the importance of a pair of good walking shoes while travelling. Inevitably, walking will be your preferred mode of transportation in whichever city or country you find yourself in, because it’s free. I learned this lesson the hard way in Paris and Italy. I neglected to bring my tennis shoes with great arch support because they weren’t as fashionable as my Vans, and my poor feet paid the price for my vanity.
  3. Take advantage of any student discounts you can get your hands on! Many places I’ve been to, like the Vatican Museums, the Eiffel Tower, and even restaurants, offer student discounts. That exchange rate from dollars to Euros is not pretty, and the exchange rate from dollars to British pounds is even more brutal, so saving even a little bit of money goes a long way.
  4. Speaking of money, the post office (at least in England) is the best place to exchange your money from dollars to pounds to Euros and everything in between, because they charge no commission. Don’t ever change your money at an airport or train station. They will rob you with their ridiculous rates.
  5. If you have friends who are studying abroad at the same time as you, but in a different city or country, it’s always a good idea to visit them! You get to have an epic reunion in a foreign country, and oftentimes, they will have the inside scoop that only locals will know. This was a huge advantage for my friends and I in Florence. Thanks to some friends of my friends who are studying abroad in Florence right now, we learned where to get the good gelato, which museums to visit, and how to pronounce the Italian word for “thank you” correctly! (The word, “grazie,” isn’t pronounced like “gra-zee.” It’s actually pronounced like “gra-zee-ay.”)
  6. On the subject of friends, always travel in a group of friends! It’s ten times more fun than travelling by yourself because you get to share awesome experiences together and make unforgettable memories. Plus, as a female, it’s generally safer to be in a group. Unfortunately, we ladies have to worry about safety more than guys, especially in a foreign country where you might not speak the language.
  7. My last tip for you all is to not pass up experiences just because you want to be frugal and save money. The longer I am in England, the more I am finding this to be true. With a semester being such a relatively limited time to experience all that London has to offer, I have realized that it’s more important to experience as much as possible than to pinch pennies. So go crazy: Go see that play starring one of your favorite actors of all time; dance away the night at a club; go out for a nice dinner once in a while. Who knows when you’ll be back, and you’re only young once!