freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Awesome Valentine’s Day Gifts for Both Guys and Gals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

The 14th of February is approaching, the day that inaccurately paints women as the picture of love-crazy, cartoon-esque, heart-beating-out-of-chest crazies, and men as incompetent, fearful, and run-as-far-as-possible flighties. It seems that there are an infinite amount of things that men must do for women in order to keep them happy (chocolates, jewelry, flowers, oh my!), and a very finite amount of things that women can do for men in order to save them from public embarrassment (the ultimate fall back: food).

Can’t we all get along?

Contrary to popular belief, men and women are from the same planet, and – gasp! – do share similar interests and likes. Read on for some fearless suggestions on Valentine’s Day gifts that are sweet enough to please your lady and awesome enough to avoid embarrassment for your man.

Printstagram Photos

This popular website can turn even your most cliché Instagram photo (well hey there, breakfast/view-outside-my-window-of-the-plane) into a work of art. They offer a variety of products that you can create using your Instagram photos, such as a flip calendar, a memory box, stickers, a mini book, a poster, and even just some quality square prints of your favorite artsy snapshots. Plus, it stays well within our well-confined college budget: prices start at just $10!

Massage

Not only is this godsend free, but it is accepted everywhere and by anyone. Massages are great ways to show someone you care without trying too hard or even coming close to breaking the bank. Training is minimal – if you really don’t know what you’re doing (which we hope you do…), check out a few YouTube clips to show you the ropes.

Edible Arrangement

Chocolate dipped strawberries, chocolate dipped marshmallows, chocolate dipped chocolate… everyone’s favorite mouthwatering delicacies are easy to come by and well decorated, too. Getting an Edible Arrangement (while occasionally can be spendy) is almost like cheating – who doesn’t love fruit dipped in chocolate dipped in chocolate dipped in candy? But maybe you’re feeling extra cheesy (or let’s be honest, you actually just have a little extra cash from not buying beer last weekend) and want to go the extra mile – depending on the arrangement, you can order one that is accompanied by a fancy balloon and man’s second best friend: the teddy bear.

T-Shirt Pillow

Ladies – a t-shirt with the two of you holding hands with hearts surrounding it is not acceptable. But – a favorite t-shirt of yours or his/hers makes for a great pillow gift. These can include old t-shirts that are maybe on their way out (while holy to you, they are “holey” in real life), or are ones that you or your significant other refuse to let go of. It’s a great way to keep prized shirts near and dear to you or your loved one. Follow this tutorial to create one of your own!

Love Letter

Yet another free way to please your babe – not only is it private and low-key, but sending a letter written to the brim with your mushy feelings and heart-skips will produce the same reactions from your receiver (plus some thank you kisses, we’re sure). Don’t let guys’ tough exterior fool you – almost more than women, they need reassurance and compliments to let them know how you feel about them and to keep them confident about the relationship. Guys, don’t feel like you have to be super cheesy through your letter (because then it’ll just feel fake) – if you feel something, say it simply, with no fluffy words or extra pizazz. Your lady will appreciate your forwardness and simplicity.

Photo credit: Chris Simmons Photography

Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.