You Will Never Be Too Old to Read YA Novels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

I am twenty-one years old and I feel no embarrassment when I say I enjoy reading Young Adult novels.  They can be an easy read when I am tired of reading a school year’s worth of academic literature.  There is also a part of me that wishes I was younger or that at least feels younger.  I get a kick out of seeing older adults reading YA books, because I think they are young at heart or they can relate to what the younger generation is going through.  Here is why you will never be too old to read young adult novels:

They’re Universal:

Every adult has been a teenager and has experienced the awkwardness of figuring out who they are.  They have also experienced being in love for the first time, the frustration of growing up, invincibility, and difficulty juggling a school life and a social life.  These experiences are new to the teenage characters, and while reading, there is hope the characters will be alright.  These new experiences are also exhilarating to read about.

Variety of Genres:

Not all YA novels are about teenagers falling in love for the first time.  There are novels about dystopian cities, teenagers put in charge of revolutions, battling life threatening diseases, and struggles with addiction.  The characters these novels are centered around are not cynical of things adults might be cynical about.  There is a YA novel for everyone.

They’re Good:

There may be an impression that YA novels are not well-written.  Yes, some of them may be crappy books, but there are also crappy adult books. They may be an easier read, but that does not necessarily mean they are poorly written.  I like taking a break from academic literature by reading a really good, page turning YA novel.  Also, many YA novels have captivated a large enough audience that they are turned into movies or have won numerous literary awards.

It’s a Cool Thing to do:

Everyone’s reading YA novels. I am sure you have been pressured to read The Hunger Games or Divergent.

Here are some of my favorite YA novels: “Anna and the French Kiss” by Stephanie Perkins, “Crank” by Ellen Hopkins, “Looking for Alaska” by John Green, and “The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger.

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.