Yoga: As Affordable as it is Beneficial for Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Students can relax at Verve 360 for just $10 dollars for a drop in yoga class.  A few blocks away, students can participate in Bend Yoga’s classes for only $11.  Despite the lack of yoga on campus, students still have accessible and inexpensive options to regularly practice yoga right downtown.

“Yoga is just my preferred method of exercise, but since the program on campus has been cut, I’ve only been to yoga once,” said sophomore Casey McGaw.  

As of the fall 2015 semester, the free yoga, Zumba, and other exercise classes offered on campus to Point Park students were eliminated. These two studios within a short walk of Point Park University could give students an option to attend yoga with almost as much convenience as the campus yoga classes used to.  Verve 360 is located at 142 6th Street, and Bend Yoga can be found at 808 Penn Avenue.

Verve 360 combines yoga with other fitness classes and salon and wellness services to give clients a full wellness experience.  Bend Yoga is a smaller, intimate studio that focuses strictly on yoga, with classes seven days a week.  Both studios offer their student drop-in class rates, and Verve 360 also offers a student membership for $59 per month with a six month contract, giving students access to unlimited yoga and other fitness classes, along with perks in the salon and retail store.

Yoga is a form of exercise that combines breath, meditation, and specific poses in order to bring overall well-being to the mind and the body. Yoga has an endless number of benefits, and the instructors at both studios feel very strongly about them.  

Alex Mcinnes, a current teacher at Verve 360, feels that it is a stretch for your body as well as a physical meditation.  Emma Vestovich at Verve 360 finds that yoga gives her a relief from anxiety, helps her feel lighter in her body and her mind, gives her mental clarity, and gives relief of emotional trauma.

“Yoga is one of the best learning experiences I have ever encountered, and the greatest challenge I choose to endure,” said Vestovich.

Janna Leyde, manager and teacher at Bend Yoga, noted that while yoga can be a benefit to everyone, it is a different experience for everyone.  For her, she noted that is a way to do other important things in life because it brings the focus back to putting yourself first.  She teaches classes focusing on those with brain injuries and trauma, and explained that those individuals can reap many cognitive benefits from yoga, such as impulse control and decision making.  

“It’s not going to happen overnight, but as soon as you get into a routine yoga practice, it will just physically enhance the overall quality of your life,” Leyde said.

Sydney Shoff of Bend Yoga said that yoga has helped her find a peace in her life and allows her to be more present.  Amanda Rubio, also a teacher at Bend Yoga, explained that she has dealt with lower back issues her whole life, and regularly practicing yoga can help eliminate that pain, as well as giving her more flexibility and mobility. She also summed up the mental benefits.

“Focusing on the breath and poses allows you to come to a place where you can shuffle away any other thoughts you may be having and be present in the moment,” Rubio said.  

McGaw recognizes the benefits of yoga and wants to get back into practicing, as well.

“I’ve always loved yoga because it relaxes me and makes my body and mind feel rested,” she said. 

The teachers at both studios are highly trained professionals, available to help students reap the benefits of practicing yoga.  Mcinnes has taught for 6 months and has completed 200 hours of yoga teacher training.  Even Vestovich, the front desk worker at Verve 360, has 85 out of 100 hours of teacher training completed at Health Thru Yoga in Castle Shannon.  

“I am looking forward to accomplishing the next set of 100 hours…and then the next!” Vestovich said.  

Leyde received her teacher training in New York City.  She then completed an apprenticeship in Brooklyn to learn more about anatomy to aid her understanding of yoga.

The instructors at these studios are also trained in a variety of yoga styles.  Mcinnes at Verve 360 focuses on classical yoga, with a strong Ashtanga focus.  Vestovich is more drawn to traditional styles of yoga, as well as restorative and gentle practices.  Shoff was trained in Ashtanga in order to broaden her horizons after practicing Vinyasa Flow prior to obtaining her teacher certification.  Leyde originally got certified in Vinyasa Flow in New York City, but also focuses on styles that help those who have suffered any sort of brain injury.  Amanda Rubio at Bend Yoga received training in Vinyasa Flow, both in Pittsburgh and in Mexico through Amazing Yoga in Southside.

“I started practicing around 2008, and I was just immediately drawn to the Vinyasa Flow style,” said Rubio.

Both studios also have a huge variety of class times to help fit an hour of practice into everyone’s busy schedule.  

“It’s important to just take one hour out of your day to take care of yourself,” said Mcinnes.

Verve 360 offers 25 fitness classes per week, with both gentle flow and Vinyasa flow yoga interspersed, along with pilates, Booty Bar, PIYO, Aerial Yoga, and more.  Bend Yoga regularly offers “Made It To The Mat,” early morning yoga classes, “Lunch Break,” scheduled Monday-Friday from 12-1, and “Happy Hour” for yoga practice after work.  Full schedules can be found on their websites, www.theverve360.com and www.bendyoga.com

The instructors and employees at both Verve 360 and Bend Yoga aspire for students to not feel discouraged and give up on their practice despite the lack of yoga instruction on campus. 

“Students are in stressful situations and I believe yoga is necessary for them to bring some balance into their lives and time for themselves back into their busy schedules,” said Shoff.

They hope that the implementation of student rates will drive more students to get back into the studio and continue their yoga practice throughout college.  

Alyssa Edwards, sophomore Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major at Point Park University, Works part-time at American Eagle Outfitters.  Lover of cats, adventures, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, and ballet. 
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.