Why It’s Okay To Escape The City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Anyone can tell living in a city is an amazing experience. Especially a city as beautiful as Pittsburgh: The food, the culture, the art, the music, the sights provide endless exciting opportunities for people of all interests and backgrounds. It’s like experiencing a new adventure everyday right in one’s own concrete backyard!

Of course, it’s important to remember sometimes it’s okay to take a breather, regardless of how much you love your city. The noises and the smells and dirty streets all make a city what it is, but it’s okay for it to be too much at times. I’ve found it can get easy to forget how to breathe in a city filled with so many wonderful things. Never fear, my city-dweller. There are also so many beautiful places outside of the city to explore perfect for a short escape the urban atmosphere. You can go camping, explore neighboring small towns, or take a bus to local community and support some small businesses.

If you are up to your eyeballs in pigeons and tired of busses nearly running you down, you may need to destress. Sometimes a day trip to do all the fun out-of-city activities is just what is needed for a little R&R. Sometimes, you can even just escape to one of your city’s parks. Pittsburgh has so many to visit, from Point State Park right next to Point Park University to Frick Park just outside of Regent Square. Sometimes, you can find a little spot of peace and quiet right in the hustle and bustle.

Mellon Park in Pittsburgh, via LaQuatra Bonci landscape architecture.

It’s also amazing how much more you appreciate the city when you leave. You get out for a day and realize just how much that city is your home. The fresh air is okay, but nothing will ever match the feeling of crawling into your bed and watching the stars (what few you can see through the pollution and ever-burning city lights) twinkle over downtown. Distance only makes the heart grow fonder, so don’t hesitate to leave your home when you’re feeling a little stifled by living the city dream; You won’t be able to stay away from the sights and smells you love for long.

A girl falling in love with the world, one adventure and a cup of coffee at a time.
Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.