What Britney Spears Taught Us All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Today Britney Spears is a pop music legend. Her “Piece of Me” residency in Las Vegas has become a huge success. She has sold over 100 million albums worldwide and is without a doubt, the Queen of Pop music. Yet, seven years ago the bubbly pop star was fighting a battle within herself that would be a test most would fail. She lost custody of her two children, shaved her head, and publicly spiraled out of control. Me being the huge Britney fan I was became depressed and didn’t know why my hero became such a fragile being. What made her do what she was doing? Why was she partying until 2 a.m.? After a very tragic 2007, Britney bounced back and made a comeback for the ages. She returned with albums “Circus”, “Femme Fatale” and “Britney Jean”, all which scored multiple hits and positive feedback from fans and critics. Now here I am, writing this saying, “I truly understand what Britney Spears went through all the way back in 2007”. She was a young twenty five year old, trying to balance a normal life, a marriage, being a mother, and of course, being the one and only Britney Spears. My fourteen year old self didn’t understand what Britney was going through, however, my twenty year old self does. Our twenties are hardest times in our lives. We are forced into making decisions we don’t know how to make, we have to balance college, work and at times, relationships as well. All of which, can go sour. It is a tremendous amount of stress thrown on anyone. What my twenty year old self would say to 2007 Britney Spears is “thank you”. Thank you for letting us know it is okay to cry at times. It is okay to not feel great. Heck, it is okay to get a new haircut if we want. We are facing a new chapter in our lives. We are no longer kids, not yet adults. We will fall and not know how to get up. We will cry ourselves to sleep. We will fail an exam or two, but the most important part is that we get through it. Face it and learn from it. This is what Britney Spears taught us all. There will be times in our lives when we are not okay, however, there will be rainbow after the storm, and we just need to face the storm. Britney Spears, every twenty something year old thanks you.

Just remember: if Britney Spears can get through 2007, you can get through this day. 

Brendan Dazen was born June 10th, 1994 in Pittsburgh, Pa. As a child he particapted in such activities as soccer, dance, theater, baseball, and singing. He grew up to love theater and music so much. He even landed a "Best Newcomer" award for Peters Township High School's theater department . He now attends Point Park University for Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management. He wanted to become a member of HerCampus because he wanted to share his thoughts and ideas of pop culture, music, and fashion with his campus, and hopefully other schools. Brendan has a strong interset in Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, sunflowers, fashion, adventutres, photography, concerts, and dance. He hopes in the future to be a production manager.