Thanksgiving Dinner Outfit Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Ahhh, Thanksgiving- a day of trying to talk over relatives while you repeatedly ask them to pass the mashed potatoes, and telling Aunt Sally for the hundredth time what you’re studying in college. Or maybe you’re stuffing your face with juicy turkey, crisp peas and your grandma’s homemade rolls, trying not to spill gravy on your fabulous outfit.

One of the best parts of the holidays is getting dressed up and the thrill of finding that perfect outfit. Whether it randomly comes to you in a vision of cashmere and riding boots, or you spend hours, maybe even days scouring clothes racks at the mall waiting for something to speak to you, there’s no feeling like finding your perfect Thanksgiving dinner outfit. No matter how dressy or casual your dinner festivities are, Her Campus is here to help you find a fabulous ensemble.

For a super relaxed dinner, you could always choose a nice cozy sweater. If you’re daring, try testing out two trends in one look with a turtleneck sweater in a solid shade of green – jade, emerald, or even kelly green. Wear it with any kind of pants, like dark denim, black leggings, or patterned leggings with over-the-knee boots. Another option is slouchy pants – another huge look on the fall runways – with a fitted or structured jewel toned or lace top.

If the dinner is a little more formal, find something in a classic pattern. Plaid and tweed are very in this fall, but animal print and pinstripes are also stylish choices. Pair a patterned blazer over a silk blouse or thin sweater in a complimentary color. If the blazer has a matching skirt or pants, dare to wear them together for a very clean and trendy look. Add your favorite ankle booties and a gold watch to finish the look.

Finally, for a marvelously fancy soiree, opt for a Jackie Kennedy-inspired pink dress. Make it modern with patterned tights – chevron and polka dots, especially – and black heels and pearls (of course). You could also try an A-line, knee-length skirt with a patterned top (hello, houndstooth!) and a jewel-toned suede pump. If you’re really daring, try a winter white dress in a classic sheath with gold jewelry.

As always, wear what’s comfortable – especially if you’ll be filling your tummy with the delectable Thanksgiving goodies and a second helping of pumpkin pie – but comfy doesn’t need to mean frumpy too. These outfits will have you feeling at ease, confident and festive. Happy holidays, collegiettes!

I'm Emily, a senior (wow) at Point Park University in Pittsburgh. I love anything that has to do with fashion - epecially shoes and clothes. I am obessed with the art of fashion but I lack in designing talent, so I figured I'd write about it since I enjoy writing so much.