Stress Less This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

The end of the fall semester inevitably brings on a severe decrease in productivity. Fifteen straight weeks of tests, papers, projects and constantly being on the go can wear any collegiate down.  Winter break, while much needed, can make it even more difficult to get back into the routine of school. A month straight of uninterrupted Netflix binge watching does not do wonders for time management skills or avoiding procrastination.  However, with the start of the second semester falling right at the beginning of a new year, this makes it an ideal time to make a change to your daily routine. Here are some helpful tips to staying on top of things for the second semester:

1. Set small, achievable goals for each day – and stick to them.

This is absolutely crucial to getting things done.  Without making a task list for each day, procrastination becomes easier and easier.  On the other hand, getting carried away and making an unachievable task list for each day can get overwhelming.  Make goals that you know you will have time to complete throughout the day.  Nothing makes you feel more accomplished than actually getting everything completed that you had planned on for the day.

2. Find a place that is easy for you to get work done.

For me, that place is a quiet corner of the library.  It doesn’t matter where that place may be, but finding one will definitely help increase your focus and productivity!

3. Reserve some time for yourself.

For the majority of college students balancing schoolwork, a social life, possibly a job and more makes for an extremely full calendar.  Every collegiette deserves time to herself to detox from the craziness!  Taking time to watch an episode of two of your favorite show on Netflix, reading a book, or even taking a 15 minute walk around the city can do wonders to clear your mind and mentally prepare yourself for the next event on your busy schedule.

4. Use your school’s resources.

How many of you know what is on the seventh floor of Lawrence Hall?  This is where Point Park’s Program for Academic Success is located.  If you need help with a specific assignment or with a class overall, take full advantage of these resources. They are there to be used and to ensure that students are successful!

5. Make your health a priority.

Finally, as important as staying on top of your work is, making sure that you stay physically and mentally healthy is important, as well.  Make time in your busy schedule to go to the gym.  Make an effort to eat healthy.  If you start getting too stressed out about an assignment, put it away for a little bit until you can collect your thoughts.  Taking care of yourself is the most important thing!

This semester has the potential to be the best one yet, and using these tips to increase productivity and eliminate stress will ensure that it is!

Do you have any other tips on having a stress reduced semester? Let us know on Twitter, @HCPointPark!

Alyssa Edwards, sophomore Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major at Point Park University, Works part-time at American Eagle Outfitters.  Lover of cats, adventures, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, and ballet. 
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.