Sanders and Trump take the New Hampshire Primaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Voter turnout was “YUGE.”

Fresh off of last week’s Iowa Caucuses, the 2016 presidential election put its candidates to the test at the New Hampshire primary.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump swept his fellow candidates in one of the most important political states with 30 percent of the vote.  Considering how many other candidates are running for the republican nomination, 30 percent is a lot.  Love him or hate him, he’s had quite an impact on the republican vote.

Trump’s win comes off as disappointing to many considering the often sexist and racist rhetoric he shouts at rallies.  While it’s disappointing, it isn’t shocking.  Trump has won every debate (that he attends) and his polling numbers have been massive.  Since entering the race, he hasn’t lost a beat.  

One of the biggest surprises in the Republican race has been the rise of Gov. John Kasich.  Throughout his candidacy, he has remained a single-digit polling candidate who has never really made his mark at any of the several debates.  His rise marks the fall of Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and Chris Christie.  Kasich differs immensely from winner Trump.  Trump’s entire candidacy has been marked with hate speech and criticism.  Kasich, however, has been a more positive candidate.  He describes himself as “the angel in the darkness.” Some consider his views more “moderate” than what the Republican party is used to. His poll numbers are expected to rise.  

Since the primary, Chris Christie and Carly Fiorina have dropped out.

Sec. Hillary Clinton took quite a blow from New Hampshire voters after losing to Sen. Bernie Sanders in his neighboring state.  Sanders won New Hampshire with just over 60 percent of the democratic voters.  Although Sanders’ win was expected, this was a massive loss to Clinton, who in 2008 won New Hampshire.  The rise of Sanders is also the fall of Clinton.

Post-voting polls suggest numerous demographics where Clinton is lacking among voters.  She lost nearly every demographic except for voters with households making over $200,000 and with voters over the age of 65.  Both demographics happen to be the smallest in terms of democratic voters.  

Young voters have been feeling “the Bern.”  According to exit polls, over 80 percent of voters ages 18-29 voted for Bernie Sanders.  Those voters include young women who received criticism from former Secretary of State Madeline Albright and feminist icon Gloria Steinem.  Steinem accused young women of flocking to Sanders because “the boys are with Bernie.” 

Hillary Clinton is aware that millennials aren’t all with her.  In her post-primary loss speech she noted, “I know I have some work to do, particularly with young people.”  

The New Hampshire primary was historic and sent quite a message.  Voter turnout was the largest in recorded history.  Young voters and first-time voters flocked to the polls in droves to support their candidate.  This election is a tipping point in modern day American politics with “extremist” “non-establishment” candidates gaining massive support in both parties.  Voters are sending a message to Washington: they’re hungry for change.

Next up on the campaign trail is the Nevada primary on Feb. 20.

Lauren O'Connor is a sophomore at Point Park University. She is majoring in Public Relations. She is a self-proclaimed social media addict and can't get enough of reality TV shows. Her favorite topics of discussion are pop music and politics.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.