Public Bike Racks Bring Art Initiative To Downtown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

The notion that led Murray Horne to get involved in a public art initiative that transforms nondescript downtown bike racks into art was simple.

Freshman, dance and SAEM major at Point Park University, Michelle Hepp, said she likes the new additions because they aren’t the boring, stereotypical bike racks.

The simplicity and uniqueness of the new designs add character to downtown, says Marina Damon, who is attending Point Park as a freshman dance major.

They are examples of the interest in the new bike racks that are already scattered throughout Pittsburgh that are being expanded this year with additional nontraditional bike racks.

“My theory is people like dinosaurs, robots, and they like bike racks,” said Murray Horne, curator at the Wood Street Galleries, who collaborates with the artists to come up with designs for the bike racks.

Horne said the idea sprouted a few years ago when people at the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust came up with the idea to replace boring, stereotypical racks with pieces of metal art that can also be used to secure bikes downtown. The Cultural Trust partnered with Bike Pittsburgh, Stephan Patchan (Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator of Pittsburgh) and the Colcome Foundation to seek out artists willing to build the new world racks.

A few of these innovative bike racks include pieces of metal designed into a miniature bridge that is located at the Westin Convention Center on Penn Ave., a pair of clouds with lightening bolts that can be found across the street from the Benedum Center, as well as three airplanes taking off that is sits in the front of the Nine on Nine restaurant on Penn Ave. These bike racks, as well as others at various points in the city, are ready for bikes and locks.

The five new bike racks are the second phase of the art initiative. The first phase of bike racks was completed inn September, 2014 and the public can expect to see the second phase of bike racks popping up around Pittsburgh in the beginning of August, 2015.

Artists with the ability to create such sculptures must submit a resume, a portfolio with at least five images of previous work, an artist statement, and references in order to be considered. Once they are accepted, the artists collaborate with the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust to come up with a design and location. Each artist then receives $3,000 to cover the cost of the process

The winners of the second phase of the bike rack art initiative will be announced on April 30th and the public can keep their eyes out for the installation of the new bike racks during this summer.

“I think they add charm to the city and hopefully they remind people to be more active and ride their bikes,” said Hepp.

“I think they add simple art to the city through common transportation,” said Damon.

Derek Vargo, freshman who is majoring in civil engineering, said the bike racks show how the unique qualities of Pittsburgh, such as the bike rack designed like a bridge.

“They add personality and a unique touch to an already unique city,” said Vargo.

More information about this new public art initiative that is ready to go on to its next phase is available at www.trustarts.org .

Photos via The Cultural Trust’s Flickr.

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.