Point Park’s sixth annual Only Love campaign brings a warm environment to campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.
This article was written by Samiar Nefzi. All photos via Point Park University Office of Student Life’s Facebook. 
Students showed how photogenic they can be on Friday, February 12 during the sixth annual “Only Love” event. This event serves to show love and support for everyone on campus. Students wore white shirts and held rainbow colored objects to proudly show their support for all students.

“When Point Park does these types of events, it shows us that their not going to judge you no matter what,” said Shayna Mendez, Only Love event photographer, who volunteered her time for the event. 

The event, that was sponsored by Resident Life, is to spread love in a world that is filled with hate, bashing, violence and bullying. The “Only Love Campaign”  takes place on college campus across the nation. The national photo campaign is to spread kindness around campuses. “Everyone one deserves a chance to love and be loved,” is a message the organization noted in its statement. Campus’ can choose to submit their photos to a nationally run publisher for publication on various sites.

February 12th, from mid-morning to 5 p.m., students filled the Lawrence Hall lobby throughout the day with a consistent line, swapping their shirts for plain white t-shirts and adding a variation of colors from yellow, red, orange, green, blue, and purple rainbows in support of the LGBT community. The colors are to represent love. After changing and adding tattoos to their faces, students turned on their best modeling poses and stood in front of a white backdrop waiting to get their picture taken. 

“Point Park is a place filled with allies and support for everyone,” says Syrah Sherwood, a volunteer of  the event. 

Students walked away with their faces painted, ready to share their “Only Love” pride with the world.

“When Point Park does these type of events, it makes me feel like they really support us,” said sophomore Amber Mole. 

By the time the event ended, 125 people participated, according to Amanda McGurie, co-chair for the event. This continues to be a highly successful event sponsored by Resident Life.

Only Love is not the only “pride” type of event and/or organization at the university, there is the Rainbow club as well. 

Another upcoming pride-themed event is the “Pittsburgh Pride Parade,” taking place on June, 3.  

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.