The Perks of Being Single in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Sure, we’ve all had our times of longing for a significant other. For some people, this longing may be obsessive, but for a lucky few, being single is actually a blessing. To be honest, putting up with yourself is hard enough sometimes, especially during these crazy, transitional college years. Putting up with a whole other person, now that’s another story. So I guess these are just a few of the perks of being single whilst in college:

Class is time consuming, and relationships are time consuming.  Both of these things clash enough.  Add the job that you probably have to have in order to pay for this capitalized life-sucking institution we call higher education and a social life outside of your significant other and “me time” is almost completely eliminated. Where can you fit in your Netflix binging or Tumblr scrolling? Both of those things are very necessary in order to function in society appropriately.  Besides, who wants to hear any of this “Netflix and Chill?” nonsense? Netflix means binge watching about eight episodes of Orange is the New Black in a row and dropping off the face of the earth.  What are jeans? What is a shower? I haven’t brushed my hair in two days, but I can tell you who Gossip Girl is, so who is the real winner here?

Also, you never have to plan dates, or worry about ever actually seeing your significant other. Which is pretty glorious in and of itself, but add not having to spend money on dates and you can find yourself as a happy human. Societal norms and spending money that you don’t have are both awful, so stay single and you’ll never have to deal with any of those things.  Unless you are ordering a pizza all to yourself and, really, who wants to share that?

To reference above: Personal hygiene is at your own discretion, my friend. Who are you shaving for? If you’re looking for a ‘I haven’t washed my hair in four days,’ or a ‘I haven’t shaved my legs in a week and a half,’ you’re going to have to run it alone for a while, but you know, sacrifices are made for the things we love, and I personally love not shaving my legs.

If saving your time, money, and effort aren’t good enough for you, then I guess you can just conform to society and be in a happy relationship, or whatever. For now I’m going to bathe myself in all of the reasons why being single is great and not submit my Facebook event for my Pity Party and wallow in self pity.

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.