New Show Alert: Red Band Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

The Red Band Society is a brand new series on FOX that is about the lives of six sick kids who form unlikely bonds while they are living at a Los Angeles hospital.

First we meet Charlie, a twelve year old boy in a coma, who narrates most of the show. Charlie introduces us to hospital newcomer, Kara, the head cheerleader of her high school with a heartless attitude. Ironically, Kara has a serious heart condition. Jordi is also a new kid, traveling across the country by himself to get cancer treatment by the talented (and sexy!) oncologist, Dr. McAndrew. Then there’s Leo, the leader of the ring, and other than Charlie, the longest staying resident of the hospital. Leo had his leg amputated due to his cancer. Leo’s best friend is Dash, the outgoing rebel, who has cystic fibrosis. And finally, Emma, Leo’s on and off again girlfriend, who has anorexia.   

In the series premier, Dr. McAndrew agrees to perform a serious surgery on Jordi’s, despite Jordi’s difficult family situation. Like Leo, Jordi must also get his leg removed because of his cancer. To help Jordi feel at home at the hospital, Leo takes the gang up to the rooftop of the hospital to celebrate Jordi’s leg’s last night. Leo makes a heartfelt speech and gives each of his friends a “red band,” which are the hospital bands that he has accumulated over the years: his first trip to the Emergency Room, his first surgery, his skin graph, and his leg removal surgery. Leo also stops by Charlie’s room to give him his own band. This is just the beginning of The Red Band Society. 

This new dramedy is filled with the struggles of living and dealing with an illness, however the mood is lightened by hilariously written lines for every character. 

Everyone should definitely check out this amazing new series on FOX Wednesday nights at 9/8c!

Freshman Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management Major at Point Park University. I tend to go to way too many concerts and hockey games. Social media girl for the @hcpointpark Twitter & Instagram. #HXCO
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.