How Technology Affects Sexual Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

In our modern day society, technology is a handy creation. Being able to use fast paced resources, allow for quick uses of knowledge and communication allow us to do a multitude of things almost instantly. This use of cellphones and the internet is a positive addition to our fast paced, always moving, no time society. The new way of gathering information also allows for the creation of new ideas and tools; however this almost instant use of communication and knowledge can be detrimental to those around us.

Sexual Violence is a scary situation that is continuing to grow. Some believe that the effects of technology on sexual violence are positive ones. This is because technology allows for a variety of new and creative venues in which sexual violence can be prevented. The invention of the date rape nail polish, which changes colors under the detection of common date rape drugs (in case one was to be in your drink, for instance), would not have been invented without the use of new modern day technology. Modern technology also allows for the creation of new smart phone apps to be invented. Many new apps used to prevent sexual violence have been created. Two of these popular apps are called “Night Owl” and “SPOT a problem” both of these were created at Carnegie Mellon University right here in Pittsburgh. These two apps were invented to give students a chance to report issues that they see at parties.  

While technology can be used to help our populations to enhance our knowledge of sexual violence and the prevention of it, it at times can also create the opposite. A study done by Urban Institute in February of 2013 showed that 1 in every 4 dating teens is harassed online or by texts from their partners. An article on the website called Buzzfeed shows how a woman, Alxandra Tweten, created an Instagram called Bye Felipe to show what it was like to be a woman on the internet. These women share some responses they received on dating sites from men. Most of the responses were in forms of text messages or private messages on the dating site. These messages are shown on the Instagram page, which show how degrading and rude men can be to women on the internet. Most responses were produced because the men thought they were being ignored, for not much longer than ten minutes.

The study that the Urban Institute produced in 2013 showed that the participants dealing with sexual violence through technology were also dealing with abuse and violence in other forms as well. Of their 5,647 teens surveyed, 84% of them were psychological damaged by their partners, 50% are physically abused, and one-third experience sexual coercion. This shows that the troubling acts of harassment and pressure through technology can cause even more violent issues.

In our modern day society, technology is an extremely useful creation. Being able to use fast paced resources, allows for the education and prevention of such topics of sexual violence. The use of modern day technology also allows for the gathering information to create new ideas and tools; however this almost instant use of communication and knowledge can only be beneficial if we choose to use it in a beneficial way. As we have seen technology can also be used in negative, and at times, violent ways to those around us. We must choose which way we want our world to perceive technology and educate ourselves on how to achieve this vision.