How To Know If You’re In An Abusive Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Domestic violence can happen to anyone, male or female, and can be both psychological and physical. Acknowledging the signs of an abusive relationship is the first step to getting help. If you realize that yourself or someone you know fits the following descriptions, please reach out. Hotlines are available 24/7 to help.

National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233

1.     The most obvious way to tell if you’re in an abusive relationship is if you live in fear of your partner. If you feel as if you have to walk on eggshells when you’re with them then chances are your relationship is abusive.

2.     If your partner tries to belittle you. If they are constantly criticizing you, putting you down, and yelling at you then, they are being emotionally and psychologically abusive.

3.     If your partner views you as property or a sex object then you are being abused. Remember that you are your own person; you do not belong to anyone but yourself.

4.     If you’ve ever been physically hurt by your partner or your partner has threatened to hurt or kill you then you are not in a healthy relationship. Accidents do not happen and there is no acceptable form of abuse.

5.     If your partner acts excessively jealous or possessive and attempts to control you or keep you from seeing your friends or family. Your friends and your family will always be there for you. There is no reason for them to be kicked out of your life just because your partner condones it.

6.     If your partner ever forces you to have sex, they are being abusive. It doesn’t matter if you are in a relationship; your consent is always needed.

7.     If you have feelings of self-loathing and helplessness then you may be in an abusive relationship. One common belief among the abused member of the relationship is that they deserve to be treated to that way. This is in no way true; no one should ever be abused in a relationship.

8.     If your partner destroys your belongings and/or harms your pets. Your partner doesn’t need to be physically harming you to be considered abusive. If they are damaging or hurting your loved ones, pets, and even your personal property; that’s abuse.

9.     If your partner threatens to commit suicide if you leave, they are attempting to force you into staying in the unhealthy relationship. Trying to guilt someone into staying in a relationship is not normal.

10.  If your partner attempts to limit your money, the use of your car, or your use of the phone. These are all your things, which they should have no control over without your approval.

If your relationship, or someone elses relationship, seems to be described above; tell someone. Talk to your friends, call a hotline, talk to your family. Even if you aren’t sure, but think you may be in an abusive relationship, ask for help. You aren’t alone and there is always someone there to help.

#HCAgainstSexualViolence

Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.