The Do’s and Don’ts of Skiing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

I have recently experienced my first time skiing, and loved it. While it was fun, this first time experience taught me some things to do and some things to not do when learning the sport. As a newbie, I thought it would be a good idea to share some tips with fellow amateurs.

Do’s

• Bundle up

The cold catches up to you quick when you are up high on a mountain! The wind blows stronger and the temperatures are lower in general. aeven if you think you like the cold and can handle it, I would still bundle up because before you know it you’ll be regretting your decision to not!

• Stay hydrated and fueled

Whether you realize it or not skiing is a very draining sport. The amount of energy used during it is very high, so staying hydrated and well fueled is very important. Without the sources of energy that food and water provide the body begins to shut down and become tired; which is not good when there is skiing to be done!

• Rent the skis there

Many times ski slopes become packed with people. This makes the close parking lots fill up fast. Hiking up big hills in the windy, cold weather is even less fun when you’re dragging skis through it. A big do of the skiing world is to spend the extra money to rent the skis there. That way having to transport them back and forth is not a worry.

• Practice on the Bunny Slope

The mini slopes are really important for beginners. This type of slope allows for practice of the basic skills that every skier needs to know. Before going down the mountain slopes I greatly recommend practicing on the baby ones first.

Don’ts

• Sell yourself short

A big part of skiing is believing in yourself. If you don’t you won’t get anywhere with it, not even down the mountain. Don’t sell yourself short in anything, especially not in new activities.

• Get frustrated

Getting frustrated creates mental blocks. This will completely ruin your stamina and your will to keep going. Don’t get frustrated keep a positive outlook and remember it is just for fun!

• Get scared

My biggest problem with skiing was getting scared. This made me not able to trust my body, which made it harder to keep myself from falling. Skiing is a major mind game you have to trust yourself and not get scared of it!

• Overdo it

Skiing is a Winter sport that requires many different muscle groups, muscles that you normally wouldn’t use if you haven’t skied before. This is important to remember because pushing yourself too far and overdoing it can create a serious injury just from your body being tired and overworked.