This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

How could you forget the moment your ears first heard Zayn Malik’s unique voice in What Makes You Beautiful, the hit song that was released 5 whole years ago. I remember watching a commercial during i-Carly and seeing five amazingly gorgeous British lads walk across a beach and becoming an instant fan.

If you’ve learned all the boys information down to their social security number, watched their X-Factor days, bought albums and merchandise, read fanfiction, watched video tours, know of the “No Jimmy Protested” and “I like girls who eat carrots” jokes, and shipped Larry, then you’re part of the elite group known as “Directioners.”  The first step of initiation was knowing that we were never obsessed, just dedicated!

I have to admit that I haven’t followed 1D much over the recent years, but when I checked in on the social media accounts, it came me by surprise that Louis was a father (hooray) and Zayn left the band on not so good terms (boo).

The 23-year-old musician, however, seems to be taking a dramatic turn in his musical career. While he’s always had the edge and sex appeal, it’s oozing now. Pillowtalk anyone? The video for this sultry song that features his model girlfriend Gigi Hadid has a whopping 167,061,204 views (and climbing!).

Looks wise, not much has changed, but he seemed to wave goodbye to his pop/rock days and hello to the world of R&B and Hip-Hop. Zayn is featured on Chris Brown’s Back to Sleep single alongside Usher, and Lil Wayne recently remixed Pillowtalk (a.k.a. if the song wasn’t appropriate then, it’s totally isn’t now.)

Zayn’s album “Mind of Mine” will be released on March 25, 2016. Guess his NYE tweet “Z016” was correct. It’s his year. Likely we’ll be hearing more not-mom-approved tunes, which is completely fine with me. But I do wonder how young fans feel? Sure he left the band, but he’s still Zayn, the attractive bad boy member with the voice of an angel.

If I was him, I would have taken on a new persona and went as “Z”. That way there’s no affiliation with any unwanted past memories, but I guess Zayn’s telling us this is who he always was and what can a true Directioner do but respect it?

Mira Bailey

Point Park

Hey my name's Mira. I'm a student at Point Park University majoring in Mass Communications. I love all things fitness and film related. One day, I'd love to become a screenwriter. If that doesn't work out, I'd like to work in marketing and public relations. I spend most of my time at the gym or watching American Dad. I can't wait for #HTGAWM to come back on. Annalise Keating is amazing, but even more so is Viola Davis.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.