The best and worst things about March Madness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

The annual NCAA March Madness Tournament began last week, and it is something my roommates and I look forward to each year.  As soon as the bracket is available, the five of us spend the evening contemplating over which teams are going to make it or break it, even if we do not know everything about college basketball.  By the end of the first round, we are ready to set our brackets on fire.  Here is why March Madness is the best and the worst:

Best:

Anticipation & ExcitementYou have been waiting for March Madness to begin ever since basketball season started. By the time February rolls around, you are counting down the days until March and checking each teams’ stats.  You are wondering if your favorite team will make the tournament or if last year’s champions will be able to repeat.  

The CompetitionAs soon as the brackets are released, you and your friends are filling them out and talking trash on each other. Once the tournament starts, you clear out your entire schedule for the weekend.  Plans to go out dancing? No, you are going to sit on the couch with your friends and watch the Number 2 seed beat the Number 15 seed. You will not move from your seat unless you watch a player make a game ending buzzer beater.

The PlayersThe players in March Madness are your age and they understand the stress of college. Unlike the professional athletes, these players are not getting paid hundred of thousands or millions of dollars to play the game.  These college athletes play their hearts out, and that is shown through their emotions after a tough game.

Buzz Beaters & Upsets There is nothing more entertaining than a close game: 30 seconds and the underdog is only down by 2 points.  You are at the edge of your seat and you cannot take your eyes off of the television.  The underdog makes a buzzer-beating halfcourt shot to win the game, and you’re jumping up and down like the crowd in the arena.

Worst:

Nervousness Before the tournament even starts, you are nervous.  You are nervous to see if your favorite team will do well or if your bracket will get destroyed after the first round. You are nervous when the team you have winning is down by 4 points during the last minute of the game.  You are pretty much nervous during the latter half of March.  

The Upset that Screws Up your Whole BracketYou knew you weren’t going to have a perfect bracket.  It is impossible.  You have a better chance of winning the lottery.  You might start off strong, but then there is that one upset that completely screws everything up.  This year you had Michigan State winning the whole thing, but then Middle Tennessee happened and you were ready to set your bracket on fire.

Seeing your Rival School WinEven if your bracket is done, you do not want your rival school to win. Literally anyone but the rival school.  There is nothing worse than your rival winning a National Championship, especially since they will have bragging rights.

Having to Wait a Whole Year

March Madness goes by way too fast.  One minute you are filling out your bracket and the next it is already down to the final two.  When it is over, the sadness kicks in because you realize you have to wait a whole year for it to happen again.  They should have another college basketball tournament in the fall.  September Sadness has a nice ring to it.

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.