Are You Really Ready To Start Dating Again?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Breakups can feel like the worst thing in the world, and moving on is no small task. When you seem to have invested so much into a relationship, ending it can leave you feeling lost, and might make you lose hope in the word “love.” The good news is that life goes on… no matter how hard that may be to believe. Eventually, you’ll be ready to get back out there and start dating again! However, you need to take some time for yourself to really figure out if you’re ready to jump back into the dating pool. Asking yourself these questions will help you evaluate where you stand, and might help you address necessary changes to begin your new dating adventures:

Have I even let go yet? 

Being with someone new means beginning a new chapter, and you can’t start a new relationship when you still have excess baggage from the past. If you go out on a date and find yourself filling his ears with the issues of your past relationship, you really need to take more time to get over it before starting something new can be possible. Dating should be light and fun, so don’t put your cutie in an awkward situation where he has to hear about your ex, or there won’t be a second date!

Am I back to my normal self? When you have been a couple for some time, you begin to identify yourself with that person, and when you break up, you tend to feel a loss of identity in a way. This is normal, but pretty soon you have to start finding yourself again. Do things that you love that you might have neglected while you were in a relationship, like painting or writing. Not to mention, having hobbies gives you plenty of interesting things to talk about on future dates!

Do I just want to hook up? After ending things, you sometimes feel the need to fill the void of not having that person around. Many people even fall into the trap of hooking up with their ex just because they can’t stand the lonely nights. We become so used to equating physical intimacy with love that we think a love interest is what we need, but rushing things with someone new might only make matters worse. You don’t want to ruin your self-confidence by feeling used.

If you find yourself getting those infamous butterflies again, then feel free to explore the feelings! Just remember to take it slow and trust yourself and your instincts. You’ll be fully ready to enjoy the dating scene in no time, and who knows? Moving on could be the best decision you’ve made.

Allie Duda

Point Park

Allison (Allie) Duda is a sophomore Mass Communications major. She loves all aspects in the media, and hopes to dabble in all of it someday. In her free time, she enjoys going to museums, doing freelance photography work, spending time with loved ones, shopping, and watching tv/films. Check out her website at www.allisonduda.wordpress.com