6 Concerns About Spray Tans You Need To Get Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

When I tell people that I’m a spray tan technician, I typically get something along the lines of one of these two responses: “For the love of carbs, PLEASE spray my white legs. I can’t take being this pale anymore,” or “Eeek, I would never get a spray tan!”

And as a spray tan tech, nothing is more satisfying than turning skeptics into believers. 

I’ve heard every story imaginable about spray tans gone wrong, but I can assure you, they can look ah-mazing when done properly! Allow me to myth-bust the top 6 most common concerns holding you back from booking a spray tan:

So you’re worried about….

…looking orange.
Ah, the most dreaded misconception out there about spray tans (and the concern I hear about the most!) The truth is whatever color undertones you have is what will come through, be it more pink, yellow, peach, etc. However, if you choose to get a booth spray tan, sometimes that solution sits in the machine for quite a while and can tend to turn funky! At my salon, we ask how tan you’d like to be on a light-medium-dark scale and mix our solutions accordingly. 

…looking streaky.
This should be a realistic concern if you’re working with your own self-tanners at home, but getting an airbrush spray-tan application by hand *typically* looks very even (if your tech knows what they’re doing). The only time I’ve seen streakiness occur is if clients get wet, sweat, or go out in the rain during the 6 to 8 hour window after their spray that they need to stay dry! 

…looking fake.
In order to appear as natural as possible, I recommend that my clients go no more than 2 shades darker than their current color. During the hours following your appointment, you will definitely get darker as the DHA activates on your skin, and might see some build-up in creases like your elbows, wrists and neck. Book your appointment in the evening so you can just sleep with your spray tan on (pro-tip: wear socks on your hands), and I promise you’ll wake up a sun-kissed goddess after the bronzers wash off during your first shower! 

…paying for something that won’t last.
All good things must come to an end. When taken care of properly, my salon suggests that your tan will last for about 5 to 7 days, but everyone is different! Some of my clients have had their spray stay for 2 weeks, while others spent a lot of time in chlorinated pools and saw their color fade around Day 3. Moisturizing as often as possible locks in your color and adds to the tan’s longevity, so if your salon sells lotion designed for spray tans, it’s a worthwhile purchase! 

…breathing in something dangerous.
We’ve all heard or given criticism about bed tanning leading to skin cancer, but now spray tanners are getting similar slack for their alternative! Obviously your lungs are solely intended for air and only air, but there really isn’t anything unhealthy about inhaling some of the fumes from spray tan application- especially if the solution your tech uses is organic. If this is something that scares you, feel free to ask for a pair of nose plugs during your appointment. 

…having a spray-tan horror story like so-and-so did.
I have no doubt that your cousin’s best friend’s sister had a completely botched spray tan before her prom and that there’s pictures to prove it. But I’m willing to bet she didn’t follow all of the pre and post-spray instructions. Did she go to a reputable salon, or just wherever had the lowest prices? These are all things to take into consideration when spray tanning, so make sure you do your research before you blame your tech or rule out spray tanning completely! 

Still not convinced? Let me show you personally by giving you $10 off my airbrush spray tan services at Bronzed. You must be a new client and must mention this article in order to receive the deal! Call 412-833-8267 for an appointment! 

Cassandra Stovash is a Fall 2015 graduate of the Sports, Arts & Entertainment Management program at Point Park University. She began involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer at the WVWC chapter, which sparked her passion for the Her Campus mission, and knew she had to bring it to Point Park University when she transferred there in the fall of 2013. After founding the chapter and serving as its editor-in-chief for a year, she moved up the Her Campus ranks to a Chapter Advisor position that's allowed her to work with 15+ chapters across the United States! Being part of Her Campus provided Cassandra with countless opportunities throughout college such as attending Her Conference and College Fashion Week events in New York City. Her most notable highlight was receiving press access at Vans Warped Tour in 2014 & 2015, where she interviewed artists such as Echosmith, Courage My Love, The Summer Set, and PVRIS. Nowadays, Cassandra is continuing her pursuit of a career in the music industry! To get in contact with her, email Cstovash@gmail.com, or follow her on Instagram @cassi_faye. 
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.