5 Reasons Why You Should Attend Campus Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Sometimes it may seem like on-campus events are try-hard attempts at being a fun school, but there are actually so many benefits to attending! A lot of the times, they aren’t as lame as they seem, promise! Going to as many as your hectic collegiette schedule allows is worth while, and here’s why:

1.     Cute boys, of course.

What better reason to go to campus events than to meet new people and search for some eye candy amongst the crowd! Remember in high school when you’d see the same people over and over? College is much different in that you’ll probably meet someone new everywhere you go. Plus, if you spot cute boys at events, you already know something about them: they’re outgoing! Guys who know how to have fun and can enjoy something as simple as a campus event are the ones you can guarantee you’ll have fun with.

2.     You’ll stay entertained!

Sitting in your dorm all the time is not the way to get the most out of your college experience.  Even your favorite lounges and hangouts will get boring after a while.  So what is there to do when you don’t have a lot of money or desire to go to a party?  Every week, there’s usually something new happening on campus, so what’s the harm in going to check it out, right? Events are only as fun as you make them, so if you’re not necessarily having the best time, still try to make the best of it!  Participate in some of the games they have there, or dance with your friends to the music they have playing. Your enthusiasm will be appreciated!

3.     New activities? Sign me up!

Have you seen flyers posted throughout campus for new clubs?  Perhaps you haven’t. Either way, at least one club hosts each event.  Maybe there’s a new one that interests you! This is the perfect time to go talk to the members without it being awkward. Not only are they holding these events to give students something fun to do, but also to recruit for their organizations. Every club loves to welcome new members, and the more activities you’re a part of, the better your college resume and experience looks.  Get active!

4.     Make new friends, or get closer to old ones!

What’s great about campus events is you don’t have to feel weird surrounded by everybody else on campus.  They’re there to have fun, just like you, and maybe some of them don’t know what to expect either. Striking up one conversation with somebody new could lead to becoming BFFs! How unique would it be to explain that you met one of your future bridesmaids at a campus cookout?! You can also just have a great time with the friends you already have by doing something out of the norm.

5.     Discovering new interests

Campus events are always bumping with new music. Maybe they have a band playing that you didn’t know about before. This could be a perfect chance to check them out and expand your music taste! It’s not just about the music though; maybe the event will have some food you haven’t tried, or a performer that could spark a new interest for you. College is all about broadening your horizons, and campus events are an ideal place to do so. And unless the event is annual for an organization, you’ll never have the same experience twice!

Now that you have a feel for what you can get out of campus events, make sure to scope out the upcoming fun your school might be hosting!

Nicolette Kalafatis is a cinema production student (class of '17) at Point Park University. Nicolette joined Her Campus because she has always had an interest in writing, especially journalism. With a love of learning, she enjoys writing articles that bring unique things to readers' attention. When she was younger, Nicolette dreamed of working for a fashion magazine. Today, she plans to follow her dreams into film, but plans to keep writing, whether for a company or on her own on her wordpress. Nicolette's favorite thing about Her Campus is that she has met so many incredible people through it, and she has become friends with people that she may have never even met had it not been for Her Campus. She plans to encourage as many people as possible to join no matter their major. Nicolette hopes to take Her Campus Point Park to new horizons alongside the chapter's Campus Correspondants. She is very happy to be a part of the chapter since its first year and is excited to see how it grows and gets better.