5 Reasons to Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Studying abroad is an amazing experience that for some people can only have once in their lifetime. Traveling to another continent and being able to see the places you have only seen in photos is such a great feeling.

Here are five reasons you should take the plunge to study abroad:

1. It looks amazing on your resume! || Future employers will be super impressed with the knowledge you acquired of other cultures and customs. Studying abroad gives you a new perspective on your education, philosophy and language.

2. You can make lifelong friends! || Not only does studying abroad look good on your resume, but you also make new friends that share interests with you and you get to learn and go through this new experience together.

3. You learn to be more independent. || Being alone in a foreign country is a little scary, but experiencing this allows you to discover yourself and learn to try things you never thought you’d do.

4. Traveling while abroad is easier. || Let’s say you study abroad in England… A train ride from London to Paris is two hours. Once you’re in Europe you can see all the places you can visit from where you’re staying. Some schools even plan weekend trips that you can look into, as well.

5. College is the best time to travel || You’re in college! There’s nothing really tying you down to where you are. This may be the only time you’ll be able to travel in your life. Once you graduate and (hopefully) get into your desired career, it can be more difficult to find the time to travel.

Sophomore Mass Communication major with a big city dream. I enjoy Netflix, naps and Nutella. Also, I'm a bit of a coffee snob.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.