books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

4 Ways to Spend the 4 Months of Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

I cannot believe it!  We are three weeks, eighteen days, or 300 some hours away from being done with the semester!

This is very exciting news, but one of the downfalls is that we’ll be saying goodbye to our friends and hello to our parents. Love ya mom and dad but sleeping in and pushing off laundry for one too many weeks has been a blessing.

For those who are wondering what to do besides: Eat. Sleep. Netflix. Repeat. Here are 4 things to do while soaking up the sun.

Work

While this isn’t the most fun of the options, working = money and lord knows that all of us college kids could use some extra income. Finding something that interest you could make those long shifts and choke-able co-workers seem more bearable.

Good summer jobs: Waiter/Waitress, Cashier, Sales Associate, Babysitter, Tutor

Check: Snagajob.com, Indeed.com, and Craigslist (which is not just for single 40-year-old males looking for “roommates”)

Intern

#DylanOBrienisBae

As interning may seem like working, at first, it’s valuable because it relates to your field of study. Thus boosting your resume and introducing you to what it’s like to work in the “real world.” Plus, some internships can gain you college credit and give you the potential to come back after graduation and work for the company.

Check: Indeed.com, Simplyhired.com, Glassdoor.com and OrgSync.com

Travel

You may need to do #1 before doing this, but traveling can be a life changing experience. You get to meet exotic people and learn about different cultures. Also, traveling doesn’t always have to be abroad. Venture out to different cities in your home state or go up to our neighbor Canada in preparation for if Trump becomes president.

Relax

While you may think this is all you’ll be doing, try new activities that are catered to relaxing. Such as that yoga class you’ve always wanted to try but didn’t because you got an F in Intro to Downward Dog. Learn a new hobby, check out the local library, become involved with your church, meditate when the news channel is on. Do whatever makes you happy.

So remember, it’s just 1 month. We got this.

HAGS! (Do people still use that or is that a thing of the yearbook past?)

Mira Bailey

Point Park

Hey my name's Mira. I'm a student at Point Park University majoring in Mass Communications. I love all things fitness and film related. One day, I'd love to become a screenwriter. If that doesn't work out, I'd like to work in marketing and public relations. I spend most of my time at the gym or watching American Dad. I can't wait for #HTGAWM to come back on. Annalise Keating is amazing, but even more so is Viola Davis.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.