16 Reasons Why You Should Be Watching The Walking Dead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

AMC’s hit zombie thriller, The Walking Dead is all everyone is talking about, especially with the anticipated fifth season premiering this past Sunday. If you haven’t gotten into the zombie craze yet, now is a perfect time to  see what everyone is talking about. Here are our top 16 reasons why you should be watching The Walking Dead:

1. Where all roads diverge: The end probably isn’t for a while, but it is never too early to brainstorm how such a powerhouse show will go out!

2. The Environment: The environment the characters are in is awesome! The diverse area is a large part of the show: roads, rivers, swamps, train tracks, prison, farm and forests. There a lot of different scenarios can play out, which makes for an interesting show.

3. Conflict: There is so much conflict everywhere. Rarely is this used so effectively.

4. Strong Female Characters: While some shows may let the guys fight it out, The Walking Dead has plenty of strong female characters to show us that girls are tough too!

5. Weapons: There are so many weapons used in the show like swords, knives, guns, pipes, cannons, fists, chains and crossbows. It’s pretty kick a**!

6. The Walkers: Enough Said!

7. Who lives? Who dies?: This aspect of the show will keep any viewer intrigued (and it will also make you want to smash your TV).

8. The Ultimate Question: What is the cure/cause for the zombie apocalypse?

9. Love and Betrayal: Love plays a big part in the show, which always come with plenty of drama. Betrayal, lost lovers and unlikely pairs continue to blossom as the seasons go on.

10. Adventure: The characters are on the road so much of the time in the show. Where will things lead?

11. Plot Twists: Who doesn’t love a good plot twist? Cheating, lying, secrets, surprises, basically anything you could ask for, plus scenarios you could not have even dreamed of!

12. Gore: Disclaimer: The Walking Dead is not for the faint of heart… or stomach for that matter. However, the special effects are awesome: blood, guts, brains, and everything in between!

13. Action: While there are more subtle plots, the overwhelming part of the show is full of action fighting and running. Who doesn’t want to watch that?

14. Tears: Get ready for the feels… This show is powerful and you will cry at some point. When characters meet their demise, the tears will fall.

15. Suspense: Let’s be honest. The Walking Dead is one of the most suspenseful shows out there: creaking doors, hands grabbing out of nowhere, a sudden bang… the list goes on and on.

16. The Characters: The Character development in The Walking Dead is just incredible. Viewers have cried, laughed and gasped with their favorite characters. Rarely is there a hated character that everyone can agree on, or a true favorite.

Tune in to The Walking Dead on AMC at 9 PM! 

I am majoring in photography at Point Park University. I love reading, writing and hanging out with my friends. I would also love to travel the world someday with my camera taking pictures.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.