10 Reasons Why Junior is the Best & Worst Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Worst

You have a real case of early onset senioritis.

You’re finally a junior! You can see the light at the end of the tunnel. That’s exactly why it’s suddenly so hard to even get out of bed for your 9:40. I mean, you’ve made it this far. You earned the extra skip (or 6) right?

Graduate school or bust?

As horrifying as it sounds, now is the time to look into Graduate programs that suit you. You’re drowning in undergrad work, and all you can hear is “Bachelor is the new Associate.” What’s a college student to do?

You have more work outside of school than ever before.

Your part time job is totally swamping you with all the hours you could hope for… and then some. You need the money, but it’s harder to balance all your school work with the time spent at your job than it ever has been.

You have more bills than ever before.

On a related note, you’re suddenly spending all your money on mature stuff (that doesn’t have an alcohol content). Cable bill, utilities, a cell phone bill… Independence is expensive.

You have to start saying goodbye to your friends that are upperclassmen.

All those older friends you made as a freshman are moving onward and upward, maybe even some of your classmates too! Saying goodbye is never easy, especially when the work just keeps coming.

Best

You’re Almost Done With Your Gen – Eds.

Two years learning basic math and science is enough for any sane person at a liberal arts university. Thankfully, junior year is the year that the reign of gen-ed terror has ended. Major requirements, rejoice!

You’ve Perfected Your Habits as a Student.

You know exactly what works for you. You know how you study best, how you need to prepare for a test, and how long it takes you to right those procrastinated papers. This helps a lot when it comes to balancing all your school work and part time work.

You Turn 21.

The birthday that you’ve always waited for! You can finally spend the extra $5 after you’ve paid all your bills on 2 well drinks. It isn’t glamorous, but you’re one step closer to adulthood.

Most of Your Friends Live Off Campus.

Sweet freedom. Chances are, you and your friends have places off campus (probably in South Oakland). That means you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, and however loud you want.

You’ve Entered The Second Half of Your College Career.

The glass is half full! You’ve come so far, and there’s no turning back now. Think of all you learned in the past two years, and all that is still to come!

Jake Owens

Point Park

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.