This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Plattsburgh chapter.

With first-hand experience, knowing your skin type is essential in knowing what products work best for you and what should be included in your skincare routine. 

There are generally five different skin types: normal, dry, oily, combination, and sensitive. 

Normal skin is neither dry nor oily, it has a regular texture and doesn’t need specific products. Dry skin usually has a feeling of toughness or tightness. It can become an ashy gray color without moisture. Oily skin is when your face produces an excess of sweat and oil. Excess oil can be the main cause of acne. Combination skin is a mixture of dry and oily skin. The t-zone area is usually more oily whereas the cheeks are drier. Sensitive skin is fragile and can often feel discomfort when products are placed on it. There is an increased possibility of having allergic reactions to sensitive skin.

All in all, it is important to identify your skin type so that you can find products that best suit your skin. Fundamental products for each skin type have been listed below.  

Normal 

For normal skin, you can pretty much use most skin care products. One great face wash for normal skin is the CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser. This cleanser has salicylic acids and ceramides that are great for the skin. This product can be found at Ulta or in your local drugstore.

Dry

For dry skin, you need to use products that have hydrating properties. My favorite dry skin product is the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream. This cream leaves your skin feeling moisturized and soft. This product can be found at Sephora and Ulta.

Oily 

Exfoliation is an important step in your skincare routine if you have oily skin. Exfoliation helps eliminate excess oils and dead skin. One great exfoliator for oily skin is the Tula So Polished Exfoliating Sugar Scrub. This gentle sugar scrub not only eliminates excess oils and buildup but also leaves your skin feeling smooth. This product can similarly be found at Sephora and Ulta.

Combination 

With combination skin, you have to use a mix of products that work for you. Toner is an essential part of your skincare routine because it removes any last traces of dirt on your skin. A great toner for combination skin is the Biossance Squalane + BHA Pore-Minimizing Toner. This toner clarifies and hydrates your skin all at once. This product can be found at any Sephora store.

Sensitive 

For sensitive skin, you need to use products that are hydrating and don’t have a lot of fragrances that can irritate your skin. One great product for sensitive skin is the Fresh ​​Soy pH-Balanced Hydrating Face Wash. This face wash gently cleanses the face while maintaining the skin’s ph balance. This product can be found at Sephora and Ulta.

Finding the right products that fit your skin type is crucial to maintaining healthy skin. If you want your skin to appear soft, beautiful and healthy these products provided within the article are going to do just that for you. Sephora and Ulta will be your savior!

Shikira Fisher

Plattsburgh '23

I love any and everything beauty and lifestyle. I love to do makeup in my free time.