CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
Style > Beauty

5 Makeup Struggles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Plattsburgh chapter.

Are you a makeup beginner? Do you find yourself buying the wrong shade or makeup brands? 

applying eyeshadow makeup?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media

Here are five things that people struggle with when it comes to their makeup looks, especially for beginners. Whether you’ve totally mastered your everyday makeup look or you’re just beginning your makeup journey, most of us could use a refresher when it comes to makeup techniques

First thing is skin prep. Skin prep is essential because it gets your skin ready for the cosmetics you will be applying. Even a simple face wash can go a long way. Also, priming your face is beneficial when starting your makeup routine. Not all primers are created equal, so to achieve the best results, it’s best to select the right primer for your skin type. When applying primer, focus a thin coat on your forehead, cheeks and chin, which are usually the areas that are the oiliest. 

The second battle would have to be foundation. Most people struggle finding the correct shade that suits them, but it’s OK. There are professionals that can help you with that. For example, MAC Cosmetics offers people the ability to test different shades of foundation to find the right shade before purchasing. Some other companies do the same as well.

The third endeavor that gives people trouble would be eyebrows. People do struggle with getting their eyebrows to look the same, but practice makes perfect. One tip is to make sure to use an eyebrow pencil for easy application. Also, there are templates that could help as well. 

The fourth struggle would be using highlighter or blush. They say too much of something is not good for you, and in this case highlighting and using blush is something to not put too much of. It can make or break your makeup look. When applying either, make sure to dust off excess product, and if you feel you need extra then apply a little more.

Last but not the least, the final struggle is choosing a lip color. Yes, you might think choosing a lip color is too easy to mess up, but adding one product beforehand could completely amp up your look. Next time, try adding a lip liner before your lipstick or lip gloss to elevate your makeup look.

Bgb Editor'S Letter Hero Image
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media

Wearing makeup isn’t a must. Everyone is beautiful in their own way but when you think it’s needed, it’s good to have it on properly. To make sure your makeup is flawless, try some of these highly rated brands. Some popular and most favored makeup brands are Morphe Cosmetics, Fenty beauty, NYX, and  MAC. Sephora and Ulta beauty sell these products and are great places to find anything makeup related. But if you need some of your go to products that are a bit cheaper, your local beauty store is the right place to go.

Abby Uzamere

Plattsburgh '23

Hi I’m Abby, I’m a senior at Sunyplattsburgh. I major in biomedical science and minor in chemistry. Looking forward to writing and reading articles.