Why You Should Eat Spaghetti on the First Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s Saturday night around six o’clock and you are still trying to figure out what to wear when the doorbell rings. He’s early, and you’re late! You scramble to try and get yourself together. As you were so consumed in what to wear, you completely forgot about having to eat in front of your date for the first time. Now lets be honest, no one can actually be an attractive eater. That being said, first dates that involve food can always make things a little uncomfortable. Most girls are going to eat a salad to appear put-together and not make complete fools out of themselves. However, eating a salad on the first date is not the way to go ladies. Now if you’re saying that you rather eat a salad with the dressing on the side than a bowl of carbs, then we both know you are lying (unless you’re my crazy roommate).

When you order a salad you simply just complicate your night. First off, when your stomach growls later due to the fact that you are still hungry because you ate rabbit food, you have to lie to your date by saying, “…Oh, I’m not hungry, I don’t know why my stomach just made that noise.” In actuality you are starving, only to return home later and stuff your face. On top of this if you order enjoyable food you are more likely to be relaxed and act like yourself. When you are more comfortable the night is more likely to go better. Plus, you might even get a second date.  

Why would you want to try and appear to be perfect on the first date anyways, when later on he will find out that you are a mess like everyone else in the world? You are simply setting yourself up for failure. I guarantee that on the first date he isn’t going to eat a salad, or notice food dropping off your fork, he’s going to be too consumed in making sure he doesn’t make a fool out of himself as well, or you know…umm—sexual things. I find that when both parties are embarrassing themselves it gives the two of you something to bond over; and every successful relationship must have some laughter in it, right? Isn’t that the whole point of a first date: to get to know each other and have a good time?

The other night I went on a first date and definitely didn’t follow the perfect girl protocol of a date. I ate a quesadilla that fell all over the place, and if that wasn’t graceful enough I tripped in south Oakland several times. But hey, I got a second date –although I will never know if the second date was out of pity, just wanting another time to laugh at me, or if he actually enjoyed my company. However, in the end, it was a good time that wasn’t focused on what or how we were eating, but simply the conversation. If a guy is worth your time he isn’t going to care if you eat a salad or a big bowl of spaghetti, he’ll just care if he had a night to remember.

Image credit

Paige is a Sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh studying Communications and Rhetoric with a minor in French as well as getting a Western European Certificate. Her dream in life is to be the next Anthony Bourdain and marry a Brit. She is actively involved in Pitt Pathfinders and you can often find her turning up in club Hillman Library
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt