A WHIRL of a Semester: Tips for Future Interns!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Well, it’s been a long semester, but I think it’s been one well worth it. Thursday, I will finish my last day of my internship at WHIRL Magazine. I can honestly say I’ve learned a lot from writing events, to gathering pieces for photo shoots, there was always something to keep me busy. I think it’s beneficial to give you HC Pitt readers some advice on what to do when you land your internship!

1)      Always look professional
It was annoying when I had to go out and get dress pants and blouses for my internship. However, when I got there, I was glad I did. Employees took pride in what they wore, especially in a field that deals with people on a daily basis. You want to make sure you adhere to the dress code so you don’t stick out like a sore thumb. You never know when you’ll need to make an impression. Plus, now that you have a business casual wardrobe, you won’t have to worry about going on a big shopping spree for a while.

2)      Ask for things to do
Sometimes there will be times where you complete the to-do list your supervisor has given you. This isn’t an excuse to go on Facebook or surf the web. Seek out your mentor or boss and ask if they need help with anything. They will be happy that you took the initiative to help them and you may be given an assignment that could end up being fun. I got to interview Candace Cameron Bure from Full House because I asked if I could conduct interviews myself.

3)      Be friendly
It can be tempting to keep to yourself and get the work done at an internship or co-op. However, taking time to get to know the employees around you could help you out in the long-run. You may need help with an assignment or you may need a recommendation in the future. Whether it is being cordial or having daily conversations, building any kind of relationship with coworkers is important to show them that you are a pleasure to work with.

4)      Ask Questions
Just because you receive assignments that are fairly easy to do doesn’t mean you’re doing them right. Never be afraid to ask your supervisor to clarify or to ask them a question. Also, it never hurts to ask questions about aspects of the career you’re curious about, whether or not they have to do with tasks. Opportunities to talk directly with employers in your field is vital to understanding how to do the job right; take advantage of that opportunity.

5)      Have fun
You’re there to learn and you’re already on your way to having the career that you want. Enjoy your time and savor the learning experience. It may be hard at times to be at an office when you’d rather be snoozing at home, but remember that this experience is helping you toward your career goal and will pay off in the future. 

Mandy is an English and Communication dual major at the University of Pittsburgh. She plans on graduating this April, but decided that she'd finish her last three classes online and move to the big apple for an editorial internship at Ladies' Home Journal. She is a proud Her Campus Pitt member from afar and the previous Editor-in-Chief. When she isn't exploring the city, she enjoys absorbing every TLC show, following news leads on Twitter, or blogging for her Small Girl in NYC Wordpress. She's orginally from Philadelphia and will always have a cheesesteak over a salad. Her previous internships include Entertainment intern for VERVE Management Social Magazine and the editorial/fashion intern for WHIRL Magazine. Magazines are her obsession, but writing is her passion. Follow her on twitter @mandy_velez or send love to her at mandyvelez16 [at] gmail [dot] com.