This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

While the writers of Her Campus Pitt tend to have our varying opinions on the latest fashion trends, pop culture moment, and TV show of the month, one of the things we all agree on is our love for reading. Amidst the gray of Pittsburgh and the lingering chaos of midterm season, everyone seems to be trying to find solutions to the seasonal depression and slump. In our free time, which is few and far between, here are some of the books our writers are currently reading!

Kat – Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut

Synopsis: In a post-apocalyptic world ridden with disease, the last president of the United States and current King of Manhattan recounts his life up until the time in which he is writing the book.

Thoughts: So far it is so much weirder than I thought it would be but that’s why I bought it! I am simultaneously intrigued and disturbed by it, but that’s the whole point!

Would You Recommend it? Yes!

Favorite book: The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde or Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Emma – Paper Towns by John Green

Synopsis: Quentin has dedicated his life to admiring Margo’s thrilling adventures from a distance. However, he willingly follows when she unexpectedly enters his life and invites him to join a clever revenge mission. As the night unfolds and a new day begins, Q realizes that Margo, once an intriguing figure, has transformed into a perplexing mystery. Unraveling the story, Q discovers that the clues left behind are meant for him.

Thoughts: I really like it so far! The characters fall into good archetypes and I like the mystery associated with the main female character’s disappearance. It feels like I’m going on an adventure with them, so there’s a rich world being built. The writing style is very accessible too because it’s John Green. He’s just a classic author so I thought I should read something more than A Fault In Our Stars.

Would You Recommend it? Yes!

Favorite book: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid or Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

Lila – atonement by ian mcewan

Synopsis: In the scorching summer of 1935, Briony Tallis, a thirteen-year-old girl, observes the sexual tension between her elder sister, Cecilia, and Robbie, the servant’s son. However, Briony’s limited understanding of adult motivations and her advanced imagination leads to a crime that alters the course of their lives. 

Thoughts: I am absolutely obsessed with this book. As a history major, I do love some historical fiction, however this rises above almost anything else I’ve read. McEwan marvelously combines an older style of storytelling with the stakes and drama of a Wattpad story. I’ve never wanted to cancel my plans just to finish a book quite like this one.

Would You Recommend it? Yes!

Favorite book: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

ava – Normal People by Sally Rooney

Synopsis: Connell and Marianne are two people of completely different worlds. He’s a popular football star while she is a smart rich girl with few friends. However, a strong undeniable connection forms between the two and they must navigate life while weaving in and out of the others.

Thoughts: I love it so much, especially after watching the show. The book is similar but also adds more meaning than the show ever could.

Would You Recommend it? Yes!

Favorite book: I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jeanette McCurdy

renee – the vagabond by colette

Synopsis: Renée Néré finds herself recently divorced and embarking on a fresh chapter of independence. Supporting herself as a music-hall artist, she enjoys her newfound autonomy. However, her self-sufficient life takes an unexpected turn when Maxime, a wealthy bachelor, enters the scene, offering love and the security of marriage. As they embark on a provincial tour, physical distance allows Renée the space to grapple with the internal conflict between her longing for love and the importance of maintaining a life and career of her own.

Thoughts: It’s for class but it’s actually really good! Colette is a queer icon so I’ve been wanting to read something from her. 

Would You Recommend it? Yes!

Favorite book: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

nina – heart of a dog By Mikhail Bulgakov

Synopsis: This satirical novel narrates the tale of a dog undergoing a surgical transformation into a human, serving as a blatant critique of Soviet society following the Bolshevik revolution.

Thoughts: It’s very weird and grotesque. It’s not a book for everybody.

Would You Recommend it? Not sure…

Favorite book: Anything by Rick Riordan

Whether you’re a Goodreads fiend or an ex-gifted child with burnout, I hope this article inspires you to pick up a new (or old) book and continue to read through the season of gray that is upon us!

Lila Ryan is a first-year student at the University of Pittsburgh and is currently a writer. Her favorite things to write about are film/music reviews, pop culture, and pretty much anything arts related! She is pursuing both a major in History as well as a minor in Political Science. In addition to being a part of Her Campus, she is a member of Pitt’s Treble Choral Ensemble and Pitt Dance Ensemble. In the future, she plans to attend graduate school for a Master of Arts with Teacher Certification. Outside of class and Her Campus, Lila loves baking, Fleetwood Mac, reading, movie marathons, hockey, flowers, and everything coffee-related.