tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

What to Watch: Movies Coming to Theatres Before the End of 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The movies are so back! With both the writer and actor’s strikes coming to a (tentative) end (with deals being made in favor of writers and actors, yay!), this slate of upcoming movies can now have press tours and full promotion by their stars and crews. I’m so excited and can’t wait to share some of the most anticipated releases for the rest of 2023!

currently in theaters

Priscilla

Director: Sofia Coppola, Starring: Cailee Spaeny & Jacob Elordi

Sofia Coppola is one of the most renowned female film directors of our time, from Virgin Suicides to Marie Antionette she has established a clear voice of girlhood. This film, which is based on Priscilla Presley’s memoir that depicts her relationship with Elvis from her point of view, is one of my most anticipated movies of the year and has received wide acclaim, even from Priscilla herself. 

The Hold Overs

Director: Alexander Payne, Starring: Paul Giamatti, Dominic Sessa, Da’Vine Joy Randolph

This movie very much has a Dead Poets Society vibe, and that alone is enough to completely sell me on it. 

Killers of the Flower Moon

Director: Martin Scorsese, Starring: Lily Gladstone, Leonardo DiCaprio, & Robert DeNiro

This behemoth of a movie, clocking in at 3 hours and 26 minutes, is based on the true story of the murder of many Osage people following the discovery of oil in their land. Now, Martin Scorsese is an incredibly talented, wildly remarkable filmmaker, but I think the real reason to see this film is for Lily Gladstone, for her incredible performance and for the various ways in which she helped to mold the film into what it has become. 

November

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, In Theaters November 17

Director: Francis Lawrence, Starring: Rachel Zegler, Tom Blyth, Hunter Schafer

I am so incredibly excited for this movie and beyond ready to re-enter my Hunger Games era. It’s receiving so much praise, especially for the performances by the leads Tomy Blyth and Rachel Zegler, and Suzanne Collins said it reminded her the most of Catching Fire so it really can’t get any better. 

Next Goal Wins, In Theaters November 17

Director: Taika Waititi, Starring: Michael Fassbender, Oscar Knightley, Kaimana

This movie is about a Dutch soccer coach trying to train the failing American Samoa soccer team, it’s very much giving Ted Lasso vibes, and with Taika Waititi at the helm it’s bound to make you laugh while also pulling on your heartstrings.

May November, On Netflix November 17

Director: Todd Haynes, Starring: Natalie Portman, Julianne Moore, and Charles Melton

This movie, by the director of Carol, is about a married couple that begins to buckle under pressure when an actress arrives to do research for a film that’s about their past and their relationship. 

Saltburn, In Theaters November 22

Director: Emerald Fennell, Starring: Barry Keoghan, Jacob Elordi, Rosamund Pike

This is one of my most anticipated films of the year; it’s from the director of Promising Young Women, one of my favorite films in recent memory, and promises to be lush, dark and sensual. Also, Barry Keoghan is a future white boy of the month…I’m calling it now. 

december

Waitress The Musical, In Theaters December 7

Director: Brett Sullivan, Starring: Sara Bareilles, Charity Dawon, Caitlin Houlahan

This is a reminder for all my musical theater people and Sara Bareilles fans that a recording of Waitress is hitting theaters soon!

The Boy and the Heron, In Theaters December 8

Director: Hayao Miyazaki, Starring (in English Dub): Christian Bale, Gemma Chan, Florence Pugh

The newest Studio Ghibli film, this movie features an all-star cast in the English dubbed version, including every one mentioned above but also Mark Hamill, Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson.

Eileen, In Theaters December 8

Director: William Oldroyd, Starring: Anne Hathaway & Thomasin McKenzie

This movie, based on the Otessa Moshefgh book of the same name, is set in 1960s Massachusetts and follows the story of a prison secretary being lured into complicity in a crime by her coworker. 

Anyone But You, In Theaters December 15

Director: Will Cluck, Starring: Glen Powell & Sydney Sweeney

The trailer for this movie admittedly was not well done, but I have hope that the movie will be better. And even if not, I think I’ll still have fun, with the fake dating trope and leads like Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell, it’s sure to be a good time. 

All of Us Strangers, In Theaters December 22

Director: Andrew Haigh, Starring: Andrew Scott & Paul Mescal

This is far and away my most anticipated movie for the rest of the year. Not only does it star 2 of my favorite actors in the entire world, Paul Mescal and Andrew Scott (of Normal People and Fleabag & Sherlock respectively), but it’s also been receiving incredible reviews for the amazing performances the leads give and for the conversation the film has around trauma. I am more than excited to see this film and will definitely be there opening night, probably bawling my eyes out. 

The Color Purple, In Theaters December 25

Director: Blitz Bazawule, Starring: Halle Bailey, Fantasia Barrino, Taraji P Henson

This is a musical adaptation of the novel The Color Purple by Alice Walker, which tells the story of the struggles of African American women living in the south in the 1900s. 

Happy watching!

Lauren Deaton is a second-year student at the University of Pittsburgh, she is currently serving both as Chapter Chair and Writer. She most frequently writes about entertainment topics– including music recommendations, topics of representation, and anticipated movie lists. Lauren is double majoring in English Literature and Media and Professional Communications with a focus on Public and Professional Writing. She is also pursuing a Film and Media Studies minor and is a member of the Honors College. She recently completed a communications internship with the Fletcher Free Library and will be beginning a research position with the Language and Literacy Division at Pitt during the Fall 2023 semester. In the future, she hopes to work in publishing helping to increase access to representation. She is also a writer for Studio 412 a creative outlet on Pitt’s campus and is a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority. Lauren loves her dog, her friends, her family, and everything reading, coming of age and cold brew related.