What’s Up With the Water? All About Pittsburgh’s Current Water Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Above: The Highland Park Reservoir

As of Tuesday, the city of Pittsburgh is under an unsafe water advisory. Here are the facts as we know them this afternoon:

Yesterday, the Pennsylvania state Department of Environment Protection (DEP) conducted tests on one of the Highland Park Reservoirs. The results of their initial test found that the water supply did not contain enough chlorine disinfectant to qualify it as safe drinking water. At 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, the Pittsburgh Water and Sewage Authority (PWSA) issued a “flush and boil advisory” to the central and eastern neighborhoods of the city. This effects around 100,000 city residents, including roughly 40,000 PWSA customers and the campuses for Carnegie Mellon, Duquesne, and the University of Pittsburgh. As of 3 p.m. Wednesday, neither the PWSA nor the DEP would say what state disinfectant levels are, or what the levels in the Highland Park Reservoir were when tested.

Twenty-two area elementary and secondary schools have closed for Wednesday, giving the faculty and staff time to collect bottled water, cover drinking fountains and sinks, and figure out what to do about meal services for the students. City hospitals are remaining open as of this afternoon, including UPMC Presbyterian found on Pitt’s campus.

The PWSA has reinforced the message that these are highly precautionary measures for residents of Pittsburgh, and they should be resolved within the next two to three days.

Above: a map of the affected areas, from CBS Local Station KDKA

The real concern for most residents is the possibility of contaminated water. According to the joint press conference last night, the low levels of disinfectant can allow giardia – a parasite – to live in the water supply.

Giardia is a microscopic parasite that lives in water. The Mayo Clinic lists it as “one of the most common causes of waterborne illness in the United States”. It can be found in lakes and streams, swimming pools and hot-tubs, wells and municipal water systems. When ingested, the parasite causes gastrointestinal distress – cramps, bloating, diarrhea, and nausea – that can last for several weeks. While there are treatments for giardiasis (also called “beaver fever”), your best bet for staying well is prevention.

This all sounds scary, but take heart. City authorities are working very quickly to resolve this matter, and it may be for the simple fact of money. According to Pennsylvania’s Safe Drinking Water Act, the DEP can charge Pittsburgh up to $5,000 for every day residents go without clean water. If the advisory stays in effect until Saturday, the city could pay up to $20,000 to the state.

So, what does this mean for Pitt students?

It’s going to be annoying and inconvenient for a few days, but it isn’t the end of the world.

First: You’ll probably be spending a few more Dining Dollars and Panther Funds than you’d like. Since all un-bottled beverages on campus are technically unsafe (this includes Starbucks coffees and soda machines), Market to Go and The Bakery are going to be your favorite places. There is also a list of water distribution stations, if you need bottled water in off-campus housing.

Second: If you have an electric tea kettle or a stove, you should use it. Run your tap for a full minute or longer so new water is coming through the faucet. When boiling water, make sure you bring it to a full boil – like if you were making pasta or rice – and keep it that way for another full minute. Let it cool before using it.

Third: Be careful, but don’t scare yourself. This isn’t the end of the world. If you think you’re sick, go see one of the doctors at Student Health. If you’re worried, pick up at copy of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and read up. Breathe in, breathe out.

AND, if you are feeling generous, there are a ton of people who need help right now. Pittsburgh nursing homes, homeless shelters, and animal shelters are going to be struggling to get enough bottled water for the people and pets who depend on them. The Animal Rescue League is accepting bottled water donations at their Hamilton Avenue facility. Volunteers say they will not be able to boil enough water for all the animals they have in their care right now. For more information, click here.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3

A senior English Writing major at Pitt, one of the senior editors here at HC Pitt. The resident maker, news junkie, and history nerd, I can hem your pants and tutor you in the American Civil War, no problem!
Casey Schmauder is a Campus Correspondent and the President of Her Campus at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a senior at Pitt studying English Nonfiction Writing with a concentration in Public and Professional Writing.