What I Learned the First Semester of My Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Now that my first semester at Pitt is ending, I have realized a lot about what I need to do to make sure I am successful. I have felt ready to leave home and start college life since I was 13, but actually being here is a completely different experience than I imagined it to be. I did a lot of reading and planning before I got to school, and that was definitely a smart move. I learned so much from blogs and YouTube videos as well as from friends who are older than I am. This preparation has allowed me to take a more laid-back approach to my first few months. I have taken time to walk around campus and get to know my surroundings. I also realize how important it is to feel comfortable spending time alone. The first semester of college is weird to say the least, but hopefully these tips will help you to settle in.

Making friends takes time.

This is something you might not want to hear, but it is true. You might feel as though the people you just met a month ago are the best people you will ever meet, but that is most likely not true.

As an introvert, I do not like big group events and loud parties, so I thought it would be really hard for me to make friends. However, I have met so many great people, and I am slowly making even more new friends. Don’t be afraid to ask someone to go out to lunch or to come over and watch a movie. Last weekend I went to lunch with a new friend, and we talked for almost two hours! My lab partner invited my roommate and I to a movie night in her lounge, and it was so much fun. In my film seminar, we spent the entire class talking about movies, TV shows and our crazy high schools instead of workshopping our essays. I am starting to come out of my shell, and I am really enjoying meeting new people. I am slowly figuring out who I really like, as well as the people I do not. Remember it is okay not to like everyone, but it is not okay to be mean.

Make time for the things you enjoyed at home.

Personally, I love to sit down at my desk in the morning, curl my hair and put on a fresh face of makeup. I simply do not feel awake if I skip this step in my morning routine. It means I have to wake up a little earlier, but it is nice to listen to my music and get ready for the day. I also enjoy calligraphy and hand-lettering. I brought my pens to school with me, so I can sit down and doodle when I need to relax. If you like to draw, get yourself a coloring book or a sketchbook and a nice set of pens or pencils. If you like to play piano, see if there is one on campus that is open for anyone to play. Just because you have moved away from home, does not mean that you have to stop doing the things you love. Instead of lying in bed and watching Netflix, sit at your desk and draw, or go to a coffee shop and write if that’s something you enjoy. If you love reading, go to the local public library and sign up for a card. I recently did this and set aside time every day to read my book and I love it! Making time for hobbies is a really easy way to practice self-care that you shouldn’t overlook.

Make a good playlist (and get some good headphones).

I am always listening to music. This is not an exaggeration. I am listening to music as I am writing this article. Whether I’m walking to class, lying in bed, taking chemistry notes or on the bus to Trader Joe’s, my earbuds are in. It always lifts my mood and gives me something to focus on. At the start of each month, I like to make a new playlist with new music and old songs that I have gotten back in to. Also, noise cancelling headphones are a must, so invest in a good pair because you will definitely get a lot of use out of them. These are some of my favorites on my November playlist:

1. “Baby Don’t Make Me Weep” by Motor Sales

2. “Needle and a Knife” by Tennis

3. “Daft Pretty Boys” by Bad Suns

4. “Drag” by Day Wave

5. “Rico” by Wild Front

6. “Hard to be Myself” by Fickle Friends

7. “Vantablack” by Novo Amor

Take some time to learn how to study.

You might assume that everyone studies at the library. However, there are so many other places you can go. There are so many buildings on campus to go and explore. When you have a free afternoon, take some time to walk around and keep a list of the places you want to come back to. If your school is close to another, visit their campus and see what they have. Sometimes I go over to a building at Carnegie Mellon that has a lot of windows and a huge glass ceiling. The views are awesome, and I love doing work there. Every morning, I try to be out of my room by 8:30 a.m. to eat a bagel and get a coffee from Einstein’s while I sit and do work in Posvar Hall. I work better in the morning, and doing this helps me to be wide awake for my 9:30 class. Figuring out what time of the day you are most productive is super helpful when planning out your days.

In high school, there is definitely a stigma around those who have tutors. People assume tutors are for when you are failing a class. However, in college, peer tutoring is extremely helpful and should not be ignored. I have already gone to the tutoring center a few times to solidify topics I already knew, as well as to get help with topics I did not understand. Many of your professors expect you to see a tutor, so don’t feel embarrassed to set up an appointment. Also, going to office hours is really helpful to get to know your professor and what they expect you to know for exams. Even if you just have one question, stop in to see them so you can introduce yourself. A friend and I asked one of our professors where his accent was from, and we ended up laughing and having a great conversation. Your professors are there to help you, so don’t be afraid of them.

Image via Essayontime

Take care of your mental health.

At home, I saw a therapist twice a month. It was really helpful for me, and I learned a lot from her. I thought I wouldn’t need any help when I got to school, but I realized I missed having someone to talk to in that environment. I joined a group at the counselling center, and it has been super helpful. Take some time to look at the website for the counselling center and see if there is a group that interests you or schedule a one-on-one meeting. Even if you have never talked to a counsellor or therapist, don’t let yourself feel overwhelmed or homesick alone. Get out of bed and go talk to someone. It can be difficult to take that step, but you will leave the meeting feeling lighter and motivated to feel better. It is very similar to having an academic tutor. They can help you to feel more confident in what you already know, but they can also give you tips to improve where you may be struggling.

Be respectful of your roommate and floormates.

Since I don’t talk that much in big groups of people, I have become extremely observant, and I am good at reading people. Many of you who are introverts can relate to this. Honestly, I do not spend that much time in my dorm building, but sometimes it would be nice to hang out in the lounge and relax. If you spend a lot of time in your shared lounge, make sure you treat it as what it is: a shared space. Don’t leave trash and personal belongings everywhere, and don’t take over the entire space. Lastly, be nice! It is never cool to be rude.

Living with a roommate can be a challenge, especially if you do not get along. My roommate and I are VERY different people, but we get along super well. We are both easy going and relatively clean; so far, there have been no issues. *knock on wood* However, remember that you shouldn’t have to put up with someone who doesn’t respect you. If your roommate hasn’t taken out their trash in a month or has endless amounts of dirty clothes on the floor, have a polite conversation with them about it bothering you. If they don’t listen, tell your R.A. If you are unsure if you are being a good roommate, here are five simple rules to follow:

1. Try to keep the floor clean. If the space under your bed or your desk is a disaster, at least you can walk around without tripping.

2. Wear headphones when you listen to music or watch movies. Unless your roommate wants to listen too.

3. Make personal phone calls and video chats outside of the room. It can be super uncomfortable for the other person if they are forced to listen to all of your private conversations.

4. Do not invite people over without asking your roommate if it’s okay first.

5. Ask before using each other’s things. Even if you only need a paper clip, just ask.

Spend time by yourself.

I heard someone say that the FOMO is too real in college. Even though I am someone who prefers to do their own thing, I agree with this. Looking at Instagram and seeing your friends at parties and hugging their new sisters on bid day can easily make you feel like you are missing out. However, don’t compare your experience to someone else’s. You need to do things because you want to do them, not because it is what everyone else is doing them. If it is Friday night and all you want to do is curl up in bed and watch a movie or spend hours on Face Time with a friend from high school, just do it. Don’t feel like you need to go out every night or spend your weekends going out for lunch with a group of people you don’t really want to hang out with. You should go out on your own – try a new coffee shop, spend an afternoon listening to music or take a walk around campus. Part of growing up is feeling comfortable on your own and being mature enough to know when you need to take a step back. Figure out what makes you feel relaxed and refreshed so that you can do more of it. Don’t miss out on things because nobody can go with you! Get out there and do what you want, even if you are on your own.

So far, I am still adjusting, but I am really enjoying being here. I make sure to get away from campus at least four times a week, and I always put aside time for myself. For me, the adjustment was pretty smooth, but if you are having trouble, it is never too late to ask for help. I hope you don’t take life too seriously, and that you enjoy your freshman year! Hail to Pitt!

Photo Credit:

1, 2, 3, 4

Emily is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Architecture and Studio Arts. She is on HC Pitt's executive board as the social media director.
Kelly is the President/ Campus Correspondent at HC Pitt. She is a senior double majoring in English writing and communication rhetoric while pursuing a certificate in digital media. Writing has always been a passion of hers, and she hopes to work in book publishing and a best-selling author one day. She works as a tutor at Pitt's Writing Center and an intern at Creative Media Agency Inc. In her free time, she works on her novel, reads stacks of books and explores Pittsburgh with her friends.