This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Name: Tyler Myers

Year: Junior

Major: Geology

Relationship Status: Single

This article would never have come about if not for my struggles with rock identification. Confused? Well, I am lucky enough to have this week’s Campus Cutie, Tyler Myers, as my fantastic co-UTA for Geology Laboratory, and he’s often the guy I go running to when I can’t get my schist together. A geologist to the core and easily one of the most loveable guys I know, Tyler was his usual charming self when I sat him down to answer a few questions. Let’s see what he has to say:

HC: Describe one of the most defining college experiences you’ve had thus far.

TM: Last spring, I joined the Delta Chi fraternity, and it was brought about because my girlfriend of the time, at Virginia Tech, was looking to join a sorority. I was looking to meet new people. I had never really thought about going Greek before, but since she was doing it at Virginia Tech, I thought, eh, why not. It’s a good way to meet people, and so I joined. It’s been a great experience so far!

HC: What’s one of your favourite memories with Delta Chi?

TM: Last semester, we had Brotherhood Retreat and that was at a camp somewhere and we hung out, played board games way into the night, played Mafia, hiked, and played mud football. It was awesome!

HC: If there was a movie made about your life, who would play you?

TM: That’s a good question! Hmm, I would need somebody who would be both humorous and serious; not at the same time, but equal parts serious and funny. I think I’m a pretty chill guy [grins]. And the guy should at least slightly resemble me, don’t you think?

HC: So there’s someone out there who could fit that bill?

TM: I wish I knew more actors…I would probably say – even though they don’t look like me – Steve Carell or Zach Levy. Even though they definitely don’t look like me, though if you dyed his hair, Zach Levy would look more like me…

HC: That would be worth seeing. If you had to teach a course at Pitt – any course – which would it be and why?

TM: It would definitely be a geology course. I would teach one of the two intro courses, either Geology Lab – like we do right now – or History of the Earth, since it’s more detailed and we learn about the formation of the planet.

HC: It’s good to see you like our class so much! What would you say is your most defining personality trait?

TM: Phew. Oh boy. I’m a hard worker. Whatever it is, whether it’s putting effort into work, friendships, or anything like that. Except texting, haha.

HC: If you could choose any job that isn’t related to your major, what would it be?

TM: Engineering. Is that okay? [I said yes.] Okay, in that case, I would totally be a myth-buster circa 2008. I’d get to blow things up and build robots! Who doesn’t want to do that?

HC: Now we move on to the relationship questions. What are three qualities you look for in a girl?

TM: I look for honesty; I really value honesty in a girl. I look for kindness or a caring personality. And I also like girls who are enthusiastic or optimistic. If a girl is enthusiastic about what she’s doing or get excited about her work, it complements my more introverted side. If a girl can push my boundaries and bring out my fun side or my talkative side, that’s what I really like.

HC: Okay, mix me a salad. What would you put in it?

TM: I don’t like salad…

HC: You’re trying to impress me with your fancy culinary skills. What would you put in this salad, Mr. Myers?

TM: So I can’t just toss a bunch of meat in it? In that case, I would put in some spinach, some arugula – yeah, I know my leafy greens – but probably not iceberg lettuce since there’s not a lot of nutritional value in that. [He catches me laughing.] No, that’s a real fact; this is serious talk here. Some cucumbers because I do love cucumbers. A few cherry tomatoes would be next, and some croutons to finish it off.

HC: Any dressing?

TM: I’m more of a cream-based dressing person, so I’ll go with ranch or French dressing.

HC: If you had to use a pickup line, what would it be?

TM: [chuckles] I really like the geology related ones, even though they’re the cheesiest things I’ve ever heard. So, you know, like “I think you’re gneiss, but don’t take me for granite.”

HC: I said that! Cheater!

TM: But I liked it a lot; it made me laugh.

The author and Cutie.

HC: What could a girl do that would be a huge turn-off?

TM: Smoke cigarettes. And be afraid to eat food in front of me. I hate it when girls only order one salad and then eat half of it, but when they’re with their friends, they’ll eat a steak and salad. Girls should be comfortable being themselves instead of showing me a false side.

HC: Plan your ideal date with a girl, please.

TM: Well, I’d want it to be somewhere where we can interact. It bothers me when people suggest movies as good first dates; you can’t talk to the other person and get to know them. I would never agree to a movie date in the beginning. As for what I would do…well, one of my favourite places in the world is Disneyland – the one in California. So I would say going to Disneyland, hanging out in Downtown Disney, and seeing all the Disney characters. There would be plenty of opportunities to get to know each other while standing in line, and we would have rides to go on if we were worried about conversation roadblocks.

HC: Assuming you can’t fly to Disneyland…

TM: Well, I really enjoy picnics. So if I could pack a lunch for the two of us, bring it with us in a backpack, and go hiking or on a bike ride. Around here, Schenley Park would work, or by my house, there’s the Hudson River.

HC: And what if it was wintertime?

TM: I’m a geology major, so I really like outdoors stuff regardless of the weather. How about skiing or snowboarding?

HC: What’s your favourite outdoors or natural spot?

TM: My absolute favourite…there’s a boat launch down by the Hudson River where I live. When I was little, my cousin and I used to go down there and skip rocks. I’d love to just go down there on a nice summer evening with family and friends and skip rocks and enjoy the scenery.

HC: Last question, and it’s a winner.  If you had to be a food, what food would you be?

TM: If I had to be a food, not eat a food? Probably a Philly cheesesteak, ‘cause why not? High in fat, high in protein. People wouldn’t be able to forget they just ate me. [We were laughing really hard] And I’d be world-famous.

I hope you enjoyed your conversation with Tyler Myers, ladies and gentlemen. Equal parts serious and sweet, Tyler is one of the main reasons I finish my Tuesdays with a brilliant smile on my face. I couldn’t imagine finishing my undergraduate experience without knowing him, and now you can say the same as well! Peace, love, and H2P!

Image credit: 1 & 3 provided by Cutie, 2 provided by author.

I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh who loves traveling the world, writing, and college life in general. My majors are Environmental Studies and Biology, but I want to focus on journalism too if possible. I'm super passionate about Model United Nations, of which I am now president (yay!), and the environment. I'm a very happy, enthusiastic person who loves pickles and twizzlers and brightly-colored nailpolish and long dangly earrings, among other things. Her Campus is my favourite website and I'm so excited to be a part of Pitt's campus chapter!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt