Thoughts You Have While Applying To Graduate School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Senior year has finally come. It’s time to go to the career fair to actually find a job (instead of just looking for free pens and candy) or finish (or start…) those applications for graduate school. Maybe you’ve realized that your degree won’t get you the salary you want, or maybe you really have a passion for your field of study.  Whatever your reason, here’s what some of you might be going through:

You start off feeling amazing; you’ve kicked undergrad’s butt for three years, have all of your extra resume fillers, and are confident every school will want you…

Then, you actually start searching for schools.  And… the average accepted applicant has a ridiculously high GRE and GPA.  Also, you don’t remember having to write half as many essays for undergrad applications…

You look into the GRE test and plan to get at least something done for the applications. But when you notice the difficulty of the math, you realize you can’t even remember the last time you took a math class.

And you just want to give up and take whatever awful job you can get.

After studying for a while, you take a practice test…

Somehow, you do really well. Now, just have to do it for real!

Next thing, you’re picking out schools…

Then, you cry at the amount of money this is all going to cost if you don’t get funded.

Personal statement time – you can do this. Just write about yourself and how this is your entire future, and how if you don’t get in, your life is going nowhere. And that means you’ll have to go back to your summer retail job and move back in with your parents.

Not to mention that you still have to pass your classes…

But when everything is finally all said and done and you finally receive that large envelope in the mail, you know you’re going to be feeling so proud of yourself.

You can do it!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt