The Butterfly Effect: A TikTok Trend and Lesson in Gratitude

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

TikTok trends come and go, but a recent one stuck out to me. The butterfly effect is a phenomenon where one small change sets off a chain of events that eventually lead to shifting the course of one’s life. For instance, a butterfly flapping its wings could create a small wind that could somehow change the course of a tornado in the distance (Hence the name the butterfly effect.). TikTok recently discovered this interesting concept and a new trend was born: users share a seemingly random experience in their lives that somehow indirectly led to something much bigger.

Here are some of HC Pitt’s own personal butterfly effects:

• “Breaking my arm during a soccer game my sophomore year of high school led me to attending law school this upcoming fall.” – Olivia A.
  • “Talking in my sleep freshman year of college led me to meeting my current roommates, who are also two of my best friends here at Pitt.” – Madelyn D.
  • “Waving across the courtyard to the other side of my dorm building freshman year led to me meeting my boyfriend.” – Claire U.
  • “Joining CHAARG freshman year of college led to meeting my four best friends that I currently live with.” – Keri C.
  • “Not doing well on a math test my freshman year of high school led me to moving out of state to become a teacher.” – Sabrina M.
  • “Reading The Hunger Games In fourth grade led to me being a Communications major.” – Madelyn D.

While this whole trend is all in good fun, I think there is a greater lesson to be learned from it. And no, it’s not to stress us out and make us think that every minor decision we make could possibly change the course of our lives forever. Rather, the butterfly effect teaches us that the small things in life matter and can have positive outcomes, even if we don’t see the good in them in the moment. I’m sure Olivia didn’t see the silver lining of breaking her arm in the moment, and that Sabrina wasn’t happy about that math test in high school. However, the butterfly effect teaches us to look back at these events and realize that without them, our lives might not have worked out in the way they did. Whether you believe that everything happens for a reason or not, I think we can all agree that it’s crazy how big of an impact life’s little moments can make.

Madelyn is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh double majoring Psychology and Communications with a certificate in Corporate/Community Relations. Outside of writing and editing for Her Campus Pitt, she is also a member of CHAARG and Gamma Sigma Sigma. In her free time she enjoys watching horror movies, making Spotify playlists, exploring Pittsburgh, getting coffee and working out.