The Best Songs to Make You Feel Like You Are in a Coming of Age Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Let’s be honest: we’ve all looked out the car window or gotten ready in the morning while listening to feel good music and pretended that we were in a movie montage. But not just any movie montage, one in a coming of age movie; the ones where you see the main protagonist learn new things about life. The ones filled with first kisses and first heartbreaks, and driving through tunnels at night with the sunroof open. We have all been there, and if I’m being honest, I find myself doing it a lot. It’s fun. It makes us feel like we can truly be the main characters in our own lives. So I am here to give you some of my favorite songs to listen to that I think will help you truly embrace this feeling.

• Ends of the Earth by Lord Huron
  • Tongue Tied by Group Love
  • I Want to Feel Alive by The Lighthouse and the Whaler
  • The Less I Know the Better by Tame Impala
  • Electric Love by BØRNS
  • Dog Days are Over by Florence + The Machines
  • Animal by Neon Trees
  • Can I Call You Tonight by Dayglow
  • Someone to You by Banners
  • Lost by Frank Ocean
  • Fine Line by Harry Styles
  • Out of My League by Fitz and the Tantrums
  • Midnight City by M83
  • It’s Not Living (If It’s Not With You) by the 1975
  • Walking on a Dream by Empire of the Sun
  • Little Lion Man by Mumford and Sons
  • Heartbreak Weather by Niall Horan
  • Sofia by Clairo
  • Borderline by Tame Impala
  • Clouds by One Direction
  • What a Feeling by One Direction
  • Brazil by Declan McKenna
  • My Tears are Becoming a Sea by M83
  • Cigarette Daydream by Cage the Elephant
  • Enchanted by Taylor Swift (Taylor’s Version)
  • Long Live by Taylor Swift (Taylor’s Version)
  • Rollercoaster by Bleachers
  • Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift (Taylor’s Version)
  • Gimme Love by Joji
  • Beige by Yolk Lore
  • Ribs by Lorde

Hopefully you listen to these songs, and find at least one that you can relate to, or one that makes your heart light and happy. We all deserve the moments that we see in the movies. We deserve that happiness, that love, that carefree moment where everything just seems right. Go out. Stay in. Drive around aimlessly. Don’t walk but run into love. Dance in the rain. Just listen to these songs and romanticize your life, and remember that life can in fact be beautiful. We just have to find the beauty in the little moments. In the moments that seem meaningless, but actually make all the difference. 

To listen to the full playlist, click the link below.

Ella is currently a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh pursuing a degree in Communications. She loves reading and writing in her free time and loves getting to talk about important topics or events in the media.