photo collage of friends and txt message
Original photo by Lauren Deaton

The 13 Best Cozy Fall Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Movie recommendations for when a Gilmore Girls re-watch seems a little too overwhelming.

13. THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS

Wes Anderson’s 2001 film is equal parts funny and heartbreaking– packed with tender moments and outrageous characters. The film is not only gorgeous to look at but will make you feel in every corner of your heart. (CW: for suicide)

12. You’ve got mail

Meg Ryan and Nora Ephron are the queens of fall, that’s all there is to it. A sweet, tender film about rival bookstore owners is the perfect movie to curl up and watch with a warm cup of tea.

11. Beetlejuice

This 1988 film features one of Winona Ryder’s most iconic roles and is guaranteed to get you in the mood for Spooky Season.

10. matilda

If you’re looking for a film that comforts your inner child, Matilda is it. Cuddle up under your favorite blanket and let your burnt-out gifted kid heart relax. 

9. Goodwill hunting

Robin Williams and Matt Damon shine in this film about a janitor turned discovered math genius. Get your tissues ready for this one and prepare to see some of the best performances of your life. 

8. its the great pumpkin charlie brown

A comforting classic, guaranteed to make you smile. Have your favorite pumpkin treat ready and enjoy the best way to spend 25 minutes. 

7. What we do in the shadows

Taika Waititi’s 2014 film is genius from beginning to end. Packed with incredible comedic performances and shot masterfully in a mockumentary style this film is guaranteed to make you laugh. And if you love it and want even more, the movie has its own spinoff FX show.

6. knives out

Rian Johnson’s luscious murder mystery is packed not only with intrigue and an epic twist–but also some of the best cinematography of the fall season. 

5. coraline

This beloved stop-motion animated film may have frightened many of us as children (and some of us still into adulthood) but its twist and turns are always intriguing, and Coraline is easily one of the best protagonists around.

4. when harry met sally

Meg Ryan and Nora Ephron’s first team-up produced arguably their greatest film. A beautiful friends-to-lovers story that spans over 12 years is worth the watch on its own. But it also features some of the best and most timeless fall fashion known to film. 

3. fantastic mr fox

Another Wes Anderson film, this time done with stop motion animation is potentially Anderson’s greatest claim to fame. This movie’s heart beats fall, from the color scheme to the overall vibe, it’s the perfect fall film.

2. little women

Although the film spans multiple seasons it is dominated by the fall season, and its most iconic scene (if you know, you know) takes place on a hillside coated with fall beauty. A must watch anytime of the year, Little Women adds an extra sense of magic and love to the air when watched in the fall. 

Honorable Mentions

For some classic fall DCOMs, Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown and Girl Vs. Monster are definitely your best bet. In terms of franchises, one can never go wrong with a Harry Potter or Twilight movie marathon this fall.

1. dead poets society

This is THE fall film, simply nothing can top it. A moving story of friendship, knowledge and the power of words. This is worth every watch and every re-watch in any season, but especially this fall for its gorgeous fall aesthetic.

Happy watching!

Lauren Deaton is a second-year student at the University of Pittsburgh, she is currently serving both as Chapter Chair and Writer. She most frequently writes about entertainment topics– including music recommendations, topics of representation, and anticipated movie lists. Lauren is double majoring in English Literature and Media and Professional Communications with a focus on Public and Professional Writing. She is also pursuing a Film and Media Studies minor and is a member of the Honors College. She recently completed a communications internship with the Fletcher Free Library and will be beginning a research position with the Language and Literacy Division at Pitt during the Fall 2023 semester. In the future, she hopes to work in publishing helping to increase access to representation. She is also a writer for Studio 412 a creative outlet on Pitt’s campus and is a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority. Lauren loves her dog, her friends, her family, and everything reading, coming of age and cold brew related.