The Struggles of Studying in Hillman Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

With finals week quickly approaching, it’s time to pack up your books, gather your remaining strength, and make the journey to your favorite place to study. For many of us here at Pitt, that study destination is Hillman Library. Most of the time, Hillman can be a nice place to meet up with friends and crank out some work. But other times, the work is the least of our troubles, and Hillman itself presents struggles of its own.

1. You did it! You mustered up the little energy and determination you had left and dragged your tired butt all the way to the library!

2. You march along straight to your go-to study table…but…but…somebody is already sitting there…?

3. You shake off your disbelief and look for a new table…but they’re ALL taken!

4. So you hike up and down the staircase stopping at each floor once, twice, three times hoping that somebody has given up their seat since you last checked three minutes ago.

5. Your back is aching, your shoulders are sore, your legs are wobbling, but FINALLY there it is! An empty table!

6. Ugh, this floor is way too quiet. Every click of the pen or zip of a pocket is met with a dozen angry glares. Maybe it’s time to move.

7. Woah. This floor is way too loud! How does anyone get anything done here?

8. I’m not sure how your annoying roommate drama, the cutie you met at a party last weekend, or how annoyed you are with a certain professor is going to help me pass this exam, so if you don’t mind, PLEASE STOP YELLING ABOUT IT!

9. You take out your laptop, and within a few minutes your computer sends you an urgent warning that it’s about to die any second!

10. HOW IS THERE NOT A SINGLE OUTLET ANYWHERE IN THIS BUILDING?!?!

11. Why is it so cold in here? Maybe you should remember to pack a parka next time.

12. Mmm…someone brought in food, and it smells delicious!

13. You can’t focus on anything but eating, so now it’s time to panic. You didn’t miss your chance, did you? SOMEBODY HELP! WHAT TIME DOES THE CUP AND CHAUCER CLOSE AGAIN?!?

14. Phew! It’s still open, but now it’s the nighttime coffee rush and the line is HUGE.

15. You sit back down with a sandwich and the biggest cup of coffee they make, and you’re finally ready to get down to business.

16. WHAT DO YOU MEAN “CAN’T CONNECT TO PITTNET???”

17. You look at the clock and realize you’ve been here for hours and hardly have anything to show for it.

18. Now it’s 2 a.m. and everyone still in the library looks kind of crazy. Oh no, is that what you look like?!?!

19. But then you realize these people also know your struggle. So you take comfort in the fact that you’re not alone, and get ready for a long night. It won’t be easy, but you can totally do it!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt