Steve Adams: A New Zealand Panther on Pitt’s Basketball Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I’m sure during these first few weeks of classes you have seen Steven Adams everywhere, because it isn’t exactly easy to miss this 7’0” New Zealander, and he definitely isn’t hard to forget. Nationally and internationally ranked, Adams is easily set up for stardom with our very own Pitt Panther Basketball Team and to have a future in the NBA. You would think that all of the stardom and recognition he has received has gotten to his head, but he is extremely laid back and not self centered. Since I am so fortunate to be living on the same floor as Adams, I sat down with him and got the scoop on this New Zealander on the rise

HC: When did you start playing basketball? Why?
ADAMS: I started playing when I was 8 years old because all of my brothers and sisters were playing and I wanted to be a part of it.

HC: Why did you choose to come to Pitt?
ADAMS: I chose to come to Pitt because it’s awesome and obviously, Jamie Dixon is the man.

HC: What are three of your favorite things about Pittsburgh so far?
ADAMS: I love the Peterson Event Center, Kennywood, and Potato Patch Fries.

HC: How is adjusting to Pittsburgh? Are there any big differences between New Zealand and Pittsburgh?
ADAMS: It was pretty easy for me because I like change, but I miss New Zealand food.

HC: How has practice been?
ADAMS: It has been really great because I am building chemistry with my new team as well as improving on my own.

HC: Did you choose to wear the number 13? If so, why?
ADAMS: I did because it’s my dad’s birthday. Although he has passed away because of cancer, he has been a huge influence in my life and inspires me to be the best I can be.

HC: What are you looking forward to most at Pitt?
ADAMS: I can’t wait to play at the Pete in front of the Oakland Zoo!

HC: Since you’re from New Zealand, how was the moving process from there to here?
ADAMS: It was interesting to say the least. I didn’t realize there was such a huge difference in culture, what is socially acceptable in America and what is not, but I’m learning as I go along. It’s a change for the better!

HC: What are some of your favorite pastimes in New Zealand?
ADAMS: When I’m not practicing, I love playing the guitar, swimming and eating.

HC: What do you miss most from home?
ADAMS: It’s hard being so far away from home and I miss the food there.

HC: What is it like being so tall? Is everyone in your family as tall as you? Any advantages or disadvantages?
ADAMS: It’s pretty awesome! The best parts are being able to see over everybody when it’s really crowded and I can reach in high places that most people need a ladder to reach. I have to duck through doors sometimes, but that isn’t a big deal. My family (all 18 of us) is tall too, so we’re all the same.

Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.