This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Knowing when to save money and when to spend money can be a bit difficult, especially living on that poor college student budget. Sometimes, however, spending a bit more money is necessary for a quality item that expresses your own style. Yet other times, it’s perfectly acceptable to hit up the clearance section at Target. Here are four items you should splurge on when shopping, and four items that save your paycheck!

Undergarments:

Splurge on bras. According to the Huffington Post, 64 percent of women are wearing the wrong sized bra. Don’t be that woman. Wearing the right bra, although sometimes pricey, can make your entire outfit look on point. It will also boost your self-confidence, especially if you are wearing the correct size. I like any of the bras from Soma Intimates because they come in a variety of sizes and styles. The one pictured is the Embraceable Push Up Lace Trim Bra.

Save on underwear.  If you go shopping at the right time, Victoria’s Secret or Aerie pretty much always has a 5/$25 or 7/$26.50 undies sale! Also, Victoria’s Secret sends out free underwear coupons like it’s their job. Don’t pass up on these opportunities to save a little money! Always remember to check the clearance undies too.

Tops:

Splurge on blouses. They’re the perfect way to show your personal style and they make any outfit pop. My favorites are from ModCloth and Francesca’s Collections, but any high quality blouse is worth the splurge!

Save on layering basics.  From Target to Forever 21 to TJ Maxx, plain t-shirts and sweaters can be found anywhere for a discounted price. Most stores have t-shirts and sweaters in nearly every color, so stock up when they’re on sale!

Pants:

Splurge on jeans. If you’re like me, jeans are a huge staple piece in your wardrobe and you wear them almost everyday. A good pair of jeans should last you a few years, and they have to be sturdy enough to keep up with your busy days and nights. American Eagle has always worked for me, but some other great brands are MissMe, Levi’s, or Lucky Brand.

Save on yoga pants and leggings.  No matter what brand, yoga pants and leggings will get worn out easily. Saving money by buying yoga pants on sale at places like Victoria’s Secret and Aerie or going to stores like Target is always a better bet.

Shoes:

Splurge on boots.  A good, quality pair of fall and winter boots is essential, especially for college life.  Whether they be Doc Marten combat boots, Uggs, or even a nice pair of riding boots from DSW or Macy’s, they will serve you at least one harsh winter (but hopefully longer).

Save on flats. I have flats in every color to go with every outfit, and all of them combined were way cheaper than one pair of boots. Target always has a wide selection of ballet flats that are available in every color under the sun. My favorites are the Ona style flats, which I have in Cognac and Nude.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt