Shake Your Groove-Thing: The PDM jived its way back onto campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It was that time of year again for the annual Pitt Dance Marathon, which took place February 25TH to the 26th, at the Fitzgerald Field House. And while it’s too late to jump, or shall I say dance on the bandwagon for this year, it’s not too early to learn about the amazing foundations it benefits, and it’s never too early to start prepping your insane dance skills for next year.

This year, the PDM benefited The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, the first year for Pitt to do so. Cystic Fibrosis is one of the most common and devastating lung diseases that effects children, so not only did dancers get incredible exercise, but help the battle against this often times lethal disease.

Fellow Hercampus Pitt writer Marissa Gabela not only participated in PDM last year, but was also a moraler, meaning she had to stay for 12 hours supporting dancers. I asked Marissa what she thought about PDM.

She exclaimed “I love PDM and I think it is for such a great cause and it gets different organizations to mingle and get to know each other in a really great way. You may meet someone at PDM who you wouldn’t have met otherwise and you get to spend up to 24 hours with people in your organization and others. It is a real bonding experience if you are a dancer or morale.”

When asked if she would consider participating again, Marissa was all for it, “I loved it! My freshman year PDM was cancelled, but I know I would’ve been a dancer or a moraler that year as well. I would absolutely do it again! Maybe I’ll participate in moraling or dancing my senior year.”

This year, Marissa said organizations involved participated in a color war: each team assigned to specific colors, “Throughout the night there were activities such as Frisbee, twister and tug of war.”

Taken from previous years, PDM included the techno hour, pop hour, hip-hop hour, 90s hour, 80s hour and some local band performances.

Even though PDM is over now, make sure to jive your way to PDM next year. I know that I will! 

Just your average 6'2'' czech girl with nine toes =)
Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.