This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I was a frightened child—I was in fact so afraid of the dark that, for multiple years, I would have to take my Sleeping Beauty night light to the movie theater with me. But somewhere along the way, something shifted (probably being medicated for anxiety to be honest) and I fell in love with horror as a genre. Nowadays, I am quick to suggest a horror film for movie nights, and to talk about and obsess over every little detail; I just love it. And last year, when I developed a huge interest in the final girl trope, I became even more enveloped in horror. So, here’s my 10 favorite horror movies (with only 1 film per director), ranked. Some are familiar, some are hidden gems, but they’re all more than worth the watch.

X (2022)

4/5 Stars

I absolutely adore this movie (and yes, I still need to watch Pearl, oops). This movie, which is about a group of filmmakers trying to make an adult film in rural Texas on the property of an elderly couple and everything that goes horribly wrong, is absolutely genius. X not only has a gorgeous and talented cast, but also features interesting discussions about beauty, age, and final girl status. 

A Girl Walks Home alone at night (2014)

5/5 Stars

I actually watched this movie last semester for my Women and Lit class and fell head over heels in love with it. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is an Iranian film about a lonesome vampire and the boy she becomes involved with—it’s romantic, it’s suspenseful and eerie, and it’s absolutely magical. Ana Lily Amirpour, the writer/director of the film, was a DJ before she worked in film, and this movie has my favorite beat drop of all time in it and is a masterclass in soundtrack.

Bodies bodies bodies (2022)

4.5/5 stars

This is a movie that I never stop recommending to people, it’s hilarious and just scary enough to keep you on the edge of your seat without totally spooking you. The cast of this movie is magnificent (Rachel Sennott and Chase Sui Wonders I’m looking at you) and everyone truly delivers a ridiculous and show stopping performance. Bodies Bodies Bodies also has my favorite twist in recent memory. 

What We Do in the shadows (2014)

4.5/5 stars

This is a horror comedy (emphasis on the comedy), it’s literally just about some vampires trying to cope in and adjust to the modern world. The best way I can describe this film is that it’s simply very silly, it’s fun and has a few scares, but ultimately is just a great time.

Get Out (2017)

5/5

Jordan Peele’s absolute masterpiece of a film—Get Out is intense, claustrophobic, and an incredible, horrific, important depiction of racism. This movie will stick with you long after it ends, the first time I watched it I was spooked when someone ran past me for a whole week. This movie truly is a triumph for the conversations it’s raised specifically about diversity in the horror genre and the themes of horror movies. It’s also a triumph for the incredible intelligence and masterwork that Jordan Peele demonstrated in his directorial debut—and has continued to showcase with Nope and Us.

The Haunting of hill house (2018)

5/5

Okay this isn’t exactly a movie, it’s a limited series…but it’s my favorite one and it’s just so good that I can’t miss a chance to recommend it. The Haunting of Hill House uses a dual timeline to tell the story of the Crane family, one timeline is about the family moving into Hill House and all the events that followed, and the other follows the family in the present, 26 years after the events at Hill House. This series is breathtaking—it’s spooky, heartbreaking, and an incredibly moving portrayal of family, addiction, love, and grief. 

Bones and all (2022)

5/5

Bones and All is an insanely gory horror romance, but it’s also one of the most beautiful and moving films I’ve ever seen. For all its violence and terror, this movie is also gentle, tender, and loving—it depicts the Midwest, connection, and the human condition with an incredible artistic lens.

midsommar (2019)

5/5

This movie is dark and sick and twisted, but it is also undoubtedly one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. Florence Pugh, of course, is absolutely show stopping, and the use of daylight horror (horror that occurs in the daylight rather than in dark settings) is used so masterfully to create suspense and terror. This movie truly is not for the faint of heart, but it’s spellbinding all the same, a kind of twisted fairytale. 

Scream (1996)

5/5

Scream is my most rewatched movie of my adult life; I absolutely, positively, wholeheartedly adore it. Sidney Prescott is my favorite final girl in the entire world, and I having nothing but love for her in this movie. A true cornerstone of the horror genre, Scream not only features an intense villain and thrilling action, but its commentary on the horror genre truly elevates the movie to another level. I just love it so much, please watch it. 

parasite (2019)

Parasite is pure psychological horror, and it’s perfect. The first time you watch it, you’re never sure exactly where it’s going to go, but the twists and turns ramp up the action to an incredible crescendo that delivers wholeheartedly. Once you see this movie once, you’ll never stop thinking about it. 

I hope this list gave you some inspiration for a new movie to watch or reminded you of some old favorites you haven’t seen in awhile. Happy Halloween and happy movie watching!

Lauren Deaton is a second-year student at the University of Pittsburgh, she is currently serving both as Chapter Chair and Writer. She most frequently writes about entertainment topics– including music recommendations, topics of representation, and anticipated movie lists. Lauren is double majoring in English Literature and Media and Professional Communications with a focus on Public and Professional Writing. She is also pursuing a Film and Media Studies minor and is a member of the Honors College. She recently completed a communications internship with the Fletcher Free Library and will be beginning a research position with the Language and Literacy Division at Pitt during the Fall 2023 semester. In the future, she hopes to work in publishing helping to increase access to representation. She is also a writer for Studio 412 a creative outlet on Pitt’s campus and is a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority. Lauren loves her dog, her friends, her family, and everything reading, coming of age and cold brew related.