The Romantic-Comedy Remedy for Those Time-of-the-Month Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

In my fond and sometimes horrible memories of being eleven, I remember walking into Wal-mart and buying a box of tampons for my mother. At the exact moment I picked up the box, a woman with two young boys standing next to me gave me an odd smile and said in a breathy voice, “Oh, someone’s a woman now.” Now, if that scene is not creepy enough (and obviously traumatic since I so vidily remember it!) , then what is? At the time I did not understand what she was talking about. I just clutched the box, ran out of there, and hid behind my mother in utter confusion. I was nervous what would happen if I should ever bump into this crazy woman who seemed to enjoy making odd statements about me magically and unexplicably transforming into an adult! Now, years later, I can appreciate what this woman was saying. Although, if I had a time machine I would go back and tell her to, “SHUT UP!”

Ladies, if there was one thing all women of the world can agree on it would be that periods are like a death sentence.  Yes, I might sound over-dramatic saying this. Maybe. However, nothing is worse than when you need to be out and about and cramps decide to use your uterus as a punching bag.  It is no question that our moods will be all over the place at this point. However, what makes it worse is when your boyfriend (or man in your life) says, “Why are girls always complaining about their period?” If this has ever occurred to you, please for womens’ rights, slap them in the face.

Now, most of us have our own remedies to kill the pain. My remedy: Staying in for the night, sweatpants, chocolate (periods are the perfect excuse to eat junk), heating pad, and a movie.  Movies, at least for me, are one of the most important steps in this process. It is my main distraction from the boxing match occurring in my lower stomach.  Over the years, I have learned that romantic comedies are the perfect choice for these joyous occasions.
Here are a few examples of the wrong types of movies:

•  The Pianist – If you plan on crying your eyes out, be my guest, however your mood will already be down so save those box of tissues for when you have a cold 
  • Dear John – Although, romantic, not a comedy. It will make you believe that there is no hope for people to be destined for each other.  If you read the book then  you understand what I mean 
  • The Boondock Saints- Although a fantastic film, try to elevate your spirits and not bring out the fighter in you. 

But these movies you cannot go wrong with, no matter what time of the month:

•  The Notebook – No girl can ever turn the channel when this plays, especially when Noah says, “It still isn’t over.” Who can resist the chemistry between Ryan Glossing and Rachel McAdams?
  •  She’s The Man – Amanda Bynes is hilarious and since when is staring at Channing Tatum ever been a problem. 
  • 27 Dresses – James Marsden is too charming and guaranteed everyone has felt like Katherine Heigel at one point. 
  • The Sweetest Thing,
  • Love Actually
  • He’s Just Not That Into You
  • Easy A
  • Bridgett Jones Diary
  •  Two Weeks Notice

Ladies, try one of these Romantic-Comedies to bring some laughter and love to drive those time-of-the-month blues.

Samantha Saenz is a senior at Pitt. She is a Communication Science and Disorders major with a theatre minor. Sam loves movies and great TV shows and will probably write about it at least 90% of the time. She is in Pitt Ballet Club and has enjoyed her time with the girls from HerCampus Pitt.
Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.