A Review of the Latest Hair Trend: Colored Roots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It came to my attention several weeks back that there was a new beauty movement for hair dyeing. This movement consisted of women with otherwise average-colored hair with extremely colorful roots—in particular this blush/rose-gold hue. I thought it was a fad only meant for runway, and that no one outside of a fashion Mecca like New York could pull it off. However, it appears that I was wrong…

(I mean for real, it’s Katy Perry. Of course she’d look good.)

A few weekends ago, I participated in the University of Pittsburgh’s Pitt Dance Marathon where the goal was to stay awake—and standing—for twenty-four hours straight. I was lucky enough to have signed up with our chapter of Her Campus and we were assigned to the Purple Team. In my typical overzealous fervor for philanthropy, I decided I was going to dye my hair purple. However, I’m also typically dysfunctional with respects to most everyday tasks, and when I dyed my hair according to the instructions on the Vidal Sassoon box, only the first 2 inches of my roots came out purple. Much to my chagrin there was not enough dye left to fix the damage.

Now, back to the hair fad that I scoffed so haughtily at—it appears to have taken root (pardon the pun). Luckily for this blind squirrel, I found a nut. So… how do I like my new trendy hairdo? Surprisingly enough, I’m a huge fan! The front and underside of my hair appear to be a slightly purple tint as well, besides the roots—likely because I applied it first through the lengths like I was putting my hair up in a ponytail, and then covered the middle bits. It’s actually a really subtle look, especially if you don’t bleach your hair first. Most people don’t notice the change and if they do, I have received nothing but compliments (which is unusual as my friends would not shy from an opportunity to ridicule my lack of common sense/function).

Overall, I recommend trying this trend for yourself, now that I’ve accidentally done so myself. You may be surprised how well you can pull this off!

I mean you can really go for it here, the possibilities are endless.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt